Cut-out vs Bolt Over Billet Grille

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by jet89, Nov 26, 2009.

1. jet89

jet89 Member

Thinking about getting a billet grille for my silverado. I am thinking about going with a cut-out grille but the idea of chopping up my stock grille scares me a little.
    has anyone had any problems with a cutout grille? Any good techniques or tips on installing one?

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Billet Grille

On my last truck I had a billet insert, and I loved it! I have had bolt over billet grilles and there is no comparison, you will be able to see the mesh behind the billet grille. Basically a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel is all you need for the first step of cutting out the mesh, then I used a sanding drum to smooth out the grille and rid it of the left overs. It took about hour only because I took my time, the only downfall is once you do it there is no going back so make sure it's what you want.

I never had any problems with my grille after I cut it out, if anything it made the shell itself stronger. It contains brackets that hook to the back of the main shell and support the added weight, plus if you wanted to add lights behind the grille later it supplies a nice platform for that too. Here's some pics of my past setups, they were both 4mm bars but you can also get the "beefy billet" with 8mm bars.

3. TRPLXL2

Billet grille insert with 4mm bars in an 05' Silverado

[​IMG]

If you look close you can see the 6" lights peeking out behind the grille, I loved that mod because it was stealthy looking and didn't take away from the grille.

[​IMG]

You can see the brackets that hold the billet grille in place, they are hooked to the back of the cross bar.

[​IMG]

Nice close up of the finished product

[​IMG]

4. jet89

jet89 Member

Thanks a bunch. I love the lights behind the grille. Will definitly be an idea for the future. The only drawback, like you said, is once i cut-out is installed you cant go back.
    At first i was a little weary but honestly what is the chance i would want to go back to the stock look. At this point cut-out is the way im thinking about going....now to choose between 4mm and 8mm. Gonna have to wait till after christmas though. lol

5. TRPLXL2

Not a problem! I actually bought the bolt over grille first from Summit Racing for $50, just to see if I would like the general look of the billet grille. Once I figured out what I was doing I went ahead and cut the mesh out, and I have always been a fan of the thicker bars on an HD truck.

As far as the lights go I didn't buy anything fancy since you can't see the housing's, those are a $30 set of Summit Racing brand 100 watt lights that came with the relays and wiring switch kit. They have them all the time in either black or the stainless are a little bit more money, I wish I had a picture of them lit for you to see but I never got them finished up before I sold the truck. I am going to the same setup next summer on my new truck, so I will have some pictures of them lit hopefully.

Good luck with your project, and let us know how it goes when you get it all done.