1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cutting Off Cats

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ippielb, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts

So, i don't got emission tests here in Saskatchewan, and one of my catalytic converters is plugged, and the other knocks terribly. So, it's time to cut them off. There's no doubt in my mind that i'm going to do it, i just need to know exactly what to do to stop the engine light(other then a custom tune). My buddies said that getting O2 Simulators would fix the problem. But i don't know much about this subject. So if anyone could enlighten me on what to do, it would be much appreciated. Also, if i were to just cut off my catalytic converters and just weld in a pipe myself, knowing that the engine light was on, will it cause any damage to my truck? Because i can't take the knocking anymore, and one tail pipe pushing out tonnes more exhaust then the other.

Thanks!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I know you dont have emmissions tests but before you do this research your countries laws and find out if removing them is legal.
    Many countries have made it a crime to tamper with any part of the emmissions system.
  3. ippielb

Don't really matter to me, but if i need a test done, i'll just weld on some high flow catalytic converters. For now, i just want them cut off.
  4. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

If u find out where to get the simulator for the o2 sensor , PLEASE let me know !!!!!

5. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

I would just spend the money and get a det of performance cats... Just because you don't have emmisions testing now, doesn't mean you wont... And if your vehicle came with cats, it needs to have them, if and when your area starts emmisions... Besides the fact that the engine's computer needs the data from the sensors...
  6. ippielb

Thats what i was after, what data does it need. If it can be provided by the 02 simulators.
  7. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

All an "O2 Simulator" is going to do is feed the computer a fasle "ok" reading... In time it will most likely harm your engine...
  8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

9. ippielb

That O2 sensor doesn't function with our model trucks, as they have 4 O2 sensors, says it right on the page. Thanks for the post though.
  10. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

i disconnected my 02 sensors a while back to see if it would affect the performance of the truck and i saw no difference..just the check engine light..ive been wantin to get rid of my cats as well but the little light would annoy the hell outta me.if i could find some of the dummy sensors id be all over it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.