1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cutting top off Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by lakelanierboater, Oct 8, 2010.

1. lakelanierboater

lakelanierboater New Member

Hey, I am NOT a techie but want to buy a 91 or older suburban and chop the top and make it a convertible. Anyone done this? Any guidance? Thanks.
  2. lakelanierboater

lakelanierboater New Member

Hey, I am not a techie but thinking about buying a 91 suburban and cutting the top off and making a convertible. Anyone ever tried this and have any advice?
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've seen it done a couple times on Pirate 4x4, and frankly, I didn't like the way they looked. However, I'm totally biased because I could never wish such devastation on such a fine piece of classic engineering beauty. They usually chop them right after the back doors and put a bulkhead in right there to close in the cab. Then they build a tube cage over the "bed" and wheel the bejesus out of them.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

X2 what Crawdaddy said about chopping up a 'Burb.
  5. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

I did something similar to my '91 Subaru Legacy....turned it into a truck.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

There's a guy from LI,NY With one custom.. With about 20 TV's and a big audio system. Very sweet.. He has a Big bar going up the middle with some of the TV's..
  7. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

******threads Merged******** please dont post the same question more than once. Thanks
  8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

Sounds like an interesting project. You're going to have to reinforce the body from front to back, and with such a long body, that's going to be a major issue. Otherwise, you'll probably get a sag in the middle of the frame.
  9. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

x2 on reinforcing it. This is part of why convertible vehicles cost so much more than the hardtop version of the same car. In order to compensate for the fact that the roof is a major structural part of the vehicle, you will need to do a lot of reinforcing, or you will have a ton of body flex at the very least. Other than that, it should be pretty straightforward as long as you don't want to put a soft top or anything on it. Just make sure you weld caps onto the spaces and edges where you cut it, otherwise the sharp edges will be dangerous and you will have a pretty ghetto ride. Cool project though, and good luck with it.
  10. silverlion

silverlion New Member

I helped a dude up here do a blazer conversion on an '81. We found an old blazer at the auto salvage and bought a top from CL. We cut the bed rails and the rear portion of the roof of the blazer out(one piece) and, after cutting the burb, patched the blazer assembly in. This allowed us to use the removable top from the Blazer. I also turned a 1992 caprice station wagon into an El Camino using the same technique back in Texas. Good luck, take your time, do it right.