CV axle angle and torsion key lift

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Nov 11, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

SO check this out.
    S10 or K frames we all have CV (constant velocity) axles for our front differential 4WD (excluding the solid axle K5s)
    below is how the CV axle should look... perfectly level through the wheel... also, notice the WRONG way to run your CV axles...

1378472_10152302723607542_1612433252_n.jpg

when lifting your IFS truck, do no exceed an angle of 25* in your CVAs

1452557_10152302691427542_1938997633_n.jpg
    if lifting your tuck more than 2" you MUST drop the front diff to bring it back in alignment with the outer casters.
    here is a video of the MAXIMUM amount of angle a CVA can have for driving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlicIN2PhwU
    if this amount is exceeded, the results can include, excessive axle ware/ suspension ware, boot tearing, the dreaded "death wobble", axle binding and breaking!
    so good luck!

2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

So how do monster trucks and big mud trucks do it and get all the ground clearance?? This crap makes me glad I have a solid front axle in my 90 burban

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Solid axles! Ground clearance is dependent on tire size. (on most trucks) The larger the tire the more clearance between the ground and the axle.

4. BurbanMan

ah. I thought they would use long vc axles or something

5. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Monster Trucks and highly lifted trucks dont use CV joints...They go to solid axles, usually off of military trucks.

Even if you drop your differential to help line things up, you still have to account for the driveshaft angle coming from the transfer case.

6. BurbanMan

right on. As you can tell, I have plenty of learning to do about 4x4's. I'm currently starting on my first.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

only advice I can give is to ASK Questions, check out product reviews, look at the pros and cons of anything you install on your truck. I learned the hard way. I installed a crap lift on my 95 and ended up ripping it off 2 years later and installing a bds kit. Post questions, pm people, get as much info as you can about something before you buy anything.

8. BurbanMan

my game plan is to lift the from 2" do some trimming and install 265/75/16's or 265/70/17's.

9. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Thats exactly what I did. 2" rear leafs and front keys. No more than that! lol

Weird thing is one key is turned up WAY more than the other.... but the truck seams level.... is there a torque setting for torsion keys?

10. BurbanMan

I'm not aware of one. Doesn't mean there isn't one.