1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cv axle nut socket? 98 z71

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jcloud, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jcloud

Jcloud New Member

I'm replacing my lower ball joints on my 98 z71 silverado and I'm wondering what size socket I need to use to get off the cv axle nut? And also how do u remove the cv axle?I'm trying to replace my ball joints today so any help is appreciated
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Its a 36mm. Take the 36mm nut off, than remove the inner cv bolts. Than compress the axle at the inner cv joint push that joint away from the mounting surface and than pull the axle out of the outer hub.
  3. Jcloud

Jcloud New Member

Alright cool thanks for the info
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I do mine a bit different, I pull the axle completely, it only 6 bolts on the back side and then you arent fighting with extra parts. But otherwise sale thing. Also for removing it from the axle i undo the sway bar mounts and that makes the CV axle slide right out.