1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

CV joint boot replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by TJbear, Oct 10, 2009.

1. TJbear

TJbear Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys. When I was under the truck the other day, I noticed grease spattered all over the left front wheel well and around the outer CV joint area and found the boot had torn. By the looks of things, it looks like it just happened in the last few days.

I just bought the truck recently but I had inspected carefully under the truck beforehand and didn't notice any evidence of failure so it probably happend during the 70mph ride home on the interstate. I'm not really keen on making the almost 100 mile trip back to this dealer to make them fix it at this point so would I be safe using one of those "split" replacement boots and repacking the grease? How can I tell if the joint is messed up? Not hearing any clicking when I turn.....yet.

Thanks.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

with the age of your truck it might just be best to replace the entire CV axle. They arent too expensive, about 75 from oreillys
  3. TJbear

I agree but I don't really want to get into that at this time. Looks like a biotch to do. I'd rather just spend 10 bucks on this boot and if I find the joint is shot a couple months from now, no big deal, I'm out 10 bucks.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

IMO I have no trust in those boots that you put on without taking off the CV axle.
  5. TJbear

Lovely. Anyone have any insight as far as removing the whole shaft?? Looks like a pain, especially with all the rusty fasteners involved.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Removing the shaftand replacing with a rebuilt one is a lot easier than fooling around with changing the boot. Once you remove the 6 axle bolts and the nut on the end the shaft can be removed very easily from the truck. It's a piece of cake! :glasses:
  7. TJbear

Wait, you don't have to seperate balljoints, swaybar links, etc?? :confused:
  8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would say the only thing those split boots would be good for is a temporary replacement, until you had the time to either replace the CV shaft, or the boot itself.

I've changed the boots on CV shafts and to even begin you need to pull the whole shaft and disassemble the shaft from the ball cage assy before you can even install the new boot. The only time I would suggest something like that would be if the shaft had low miles and the boot got torn. Otherwise it's simpler to replace the whole shaft.

If you have concerns about the condition of the bolts and fasteners you'll have less headache just bringing it back to the dealer.

Replacing the shaft takes about 45min to an hour and will require an oversized socket. somewhere in the range of 25mm to 30mm depending on your truck, in addition to a tie rod/ball joint separator. Other than those tools it's pretty standard to take off.

If you've never replaced a CV axle before I suggest you break out the lemonade and give yourself plenty of time. It could take you a couple hours with any eventualities you may encounter.
  9. TJbear

Which balljoint am I seperating? The lower? I've done this a few times on FWD Lesabres and it was not fun although that was a macpherson strut setup. These balljoints and tierods look original. Did they come from the factory with grease fittings? Thanks.
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The only thing you might have to remove is the swaybar links, and thats only if you need more room to get the shaft out.

Replacement split boots are great if your in the middle of nowhere and need a temp fix to get back to civilization, but as soon as you get back it should be replaced. They have a habit of coming off quicker than they went on.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009