1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cv joint hits crossmember

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by voodoo 350, Jul 30, 2008.

1. voodoo 350

voodoo 350 New Member

I have an 85 k20 with a 6 inch skyjacker lift, front springs and rear add a leaf and blocks. In 4 wheel, and only under some load the front driveshaft c.v. joint at the t-case hits the crossmember. I have added spacers to the crossmember to lessen driveshaft angle, but no dice. I have heard that on some models there is a torsion bar that connects the t-case to the bell housing to reduce movement but my truck doesnot have this part. i have read that you can notch the crossmember but i dont want to cause a weak point by doing so. The truck performs very well even with the banging but i am sure it will lead to some kind of hell down the road. I have searched endlessly and cannot find an answer that makes sense. Any info is much appreciated!!!
  2. voodoo 350

voodoo 350 New Member

and all the mounts are brand new with energy suspension inserts
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

All the ones I've seen have been notched for clearance. I saw one that had a piece of tube welded on the crossmember farther back to strengthen it.