Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cylinder resleeving Question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 85 S10 Man, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

I want to know if it is possible to resleeve a cylinder on a 4 Cylinder block?

Because my number one cylinder looks like it has a hair line crack in it but i i'm not sure yet but i'm goin to have it checked to be on the safe side.

Any info would be gratefully Appreciated

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The "Iron Duke", this I4 engine has an iron block; and, I think the addition of a sleeve is normal repair for this engine (of course, that depends upon the size of the crack you are trying to fix.

The sleeve needs to go in from the deck (top of block) and is held in place with a grove cut into the top of the bore

3. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

it's just a hair line crack about middle way's in the number 1 cylinder. and I'm worried that is where the water is getting in to my oil at but i'm not sure unless i can find someone to test and see how bad the crack is.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It's possible to do, I havent heard of a shop that does this type work in a long time, its not economical to do any more most shops just replace the block.
    But I'm sure if you spend a little time searching you'll find a quality shop that can do the job.
    In one of its old versions that engine block was sleeved from the factory to cut down the displacement, dont remember what vehicle it was used on anymore though.

5. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

yeah i been searching the internet and haven't found a shop yet to do it. But I'll keep searching and i might find one if not I'll go to pull a part and pull the best looking block out of a junker.

6. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

Here is some pictures of the crack in the number cylinder. it's just a hair line crack but it's got me puzzled how it got there. i cleaned it best i could with a wire brush on a drill.

cylinder crack 001.jpg
    cylinder crack 002.jpg
    cylinder crack 003.jpg

7. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Most shops don't wanna mess with a cracked block any more. It's to labor intensive, meaning expensive, to do. Especially when there clean, rebuildable blocks littering wreaking yards all over the country.

8. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

That's definitely a crack. If I were you, I'd start looking for a junk yard engine and replace that block.
    Good Luck and God Bless

9. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

well every junk yard i called or went to they don't have one. and Trust me i been to pretty close to 150 junk yards in Tennessee and still haven't found one yet. and when i do find one it was either had a busted block or a slung rod. but anyway i found a place in Maryville Tn that does resleeving for 75.00 to a 100.00 and that's bead blasting it clean and everything.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012