1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

D.I.C and Fuel range

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by sstoner911, May 5, 2011.

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

Does anyone know how the computer estimates the fuel range? I have noticed using the same grade at fill ups that the number the DIC gives for fuel range differs from each fill up.

Sometimes it gives me 418 and on this last fill up it gave me 397....of course I never achieve any of the numbers it gives me!

Shawn
  2. Chad513

Chad513 New Member

I think what it does is take how a old person would drive and estimates with that. When I drove my mom's car when my truck was down i never got what it told me.
  3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

It's based on your avg MPGs which are never correct. Try calculating your MPG vs the DIC and you'll see a pretty sizable difference in the numbers.
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts

How big of a difference is yours Alex? I have been doing my by long hand and I am getting 15.48mpg and the DIC shows 15.9. I think that is pretty good, but not perfect.
  5. Als09Sierra

That's close. Mine is much different, but I also run E85. I get between 10 and 11 mpg, and it shows I'm getting mid-teens.
  6. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts

That is a big difference. On a side note, how do you like running E85?
  7. Als09Sierra

Blows away 87 octane. Anytime I put gas in it I feel the lag in throttle response right away. I'm considering getting it programmed for E85, but I'm waiting because a programmer may mess up my warranty. There are now 2 gas stations that offer it, one near work and one near home. Plus, since I'm driving local roads I only lose about 1 mpg but am paying about 90 cents less than 87 right now.
  8. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

I guy I work with told me the computers does a running average on your past driving habits and then estimates how far you could go on that tank of gas...makes sense since I have been putting my foot in it a little more lately...