1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dagnose a failing Starter?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MauryFrench, Aug 15, 2012.

1. MauryFrench

MauryFrench Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Hello, all.

How do I diagnose a dying starter? My 95 Chevy 5.7 liter just the last few days has been doing the Ruh, Ruh, Ruh, Rinininini start lately. I hope that made sense. I have charged the battery up with a charger to make sure that isn't it. This reminds me of an issue with my 1990 chevy many years past where a similar thing was happening until I was stranded on a Sunday 180 miles from home in front of a dump station on a Sunday with a 29 foot travel trailer attached. <chills up spine...>

Are there any tests that don't involve removal of the starter? If it comes off it is not going back on. I have had the truck for 10 years of its 17 year life and I have never put a starter on it.

Thoughts?
  2. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 Member

The only test I know of, other than the sound and drag of the motor, is to remove the starter and take it to a parts store to get tested. I would just buy one and try it. If it doesn't fix the problem, which it most likely will, just return it!
  3. MauryFrench

That's what I figured. By the way all, I do know how to spell Diagnose.
  4. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 Member

Haha...you mean Dagnose?!?!
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree, it is probably the starter; however, I can't rule out the battery yet. Just applying an outside charge is not much of a test for the battery. It should be load tested.

However, a test you can do in the backyard, just connect a second battery in parallel (jump from a 2nd vehicle). If the 2nd battery started the 2nd vehicle without any drag then we know it should spin a good starter in your truck.

If the starter still drags, you need a new starter. If the starter spins as it should, you need a new battery.
  6. MauryFrench

I did try and start it with the charger on the 50 amp setting as well; no difference. I will try the jump start trick this weekend, assuming I make it that long!
  7. RayVoy

50 is just a drop in the bucket, a starter takes a lot more, 2 to 3 hundred, or more. 50 amps is a typical recharge rate for a "low" battery.
  8. MauryFrench

Thanks, RayVoy. Now, I am going to change my story. I put a voltmeter on the battery like I should have in the first place and I am getting 10.67 volts off, 13.48 volts running. I think I may have an unhappy battery.
  9. RayVoy

Sounds unhappy, lol