Dagnose a failing Starter?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MauryFrench, Aug 15, 2012.

1. MauryFrench

MauryFrench New Member

Hello, all.

How do I diagnose a dying starter? My 95 Chevy 5.7 liter just the last few days has been doing the Ruh, Ruh, Ruh, Rinininini start lately. I hope that made sense. I have charged the battery up with a charger to make sure that isn't it. This reminds me of an issue with my 1990 chevy many years past where a similar thing was happening until I was stranded on a Sunday 180 miles from home in front of a dump station on a Sunday with a 29 foot travel trailer attached. <chills up spine...>

Are there any tests that don't involve removal of the starter? If it comes off it is not going back on. I have had the truck for 10 years of its 17 year life and I have never put a starter on it.

Thoughts?
  2. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 New Member

The only test I know of, other than the sound and drag of the motor, is to remove the starter and take it to a parts store to get tested. I would just buy one and try it. If it doesn't fix the problem, which it most likely will, just return it!
  3. MauryFrench

MauryFrench New Member

That's what I figured. By the way all, I do know how to spell Diagnose.
  4. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 New Member

Haha...you mean Dagnose?!?!
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

I agree, it is probably the starter; however, I can't rule out the battery yet. Just applying an outside charge is not much of a test for the battery. It should be load tested.

However, a test you can do in the backyard, just connect a second battery in parallel (jump from a 2nd vehicle). If the 2nd battery started the 2nd vehicle without any drag then we know it should spin a good starter in your truck.

If the starter still drags, you need a new starter. If the starter spins as it should, you need a new battery.
  6. MauryFrench

MauryFrench New Member

I did try and start it with the charger on the 50 amp setting as well; no difference. I will try the jump start trick this weekend, assuming I make it that long!
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

50 is just a drop in the bucket, a starter takes a lot more, 2 to 3 hundred, or more. 50 amps is a typical recharge rate for a "low" battery.
  8. MauryFrench

MauryFrench New Member

Thanks, RayVoy. Now, I am going to change my story. I put a voltmeter on the battery like I should have in the first place and I am getting 10.67 volts off, 13.48 volts running. I think I may have an unhappy battery.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Sounds unhappy, lol