1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Damaged AC High Pressure Side Valve - How To Replace?!?!?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by OldBlueZ71, Jun 9, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. OldBlueZ71

OldBlueZ71 Member

Pulled a dumb one yesterday. AC system was functioning, but only blowing cool air. Bought a recharge can with hose, hooked to low side but the system would not take much product out of the can. I could see the pressure change on the guage every time the compressor cycled.

It was suggested by someone to relieve some pressure from the valve and try again, so I did from both valves. I did not realize that the high side valve was designed differently than the low side. I pushed a small screw driver in there and damaged the high side valve.

I can see how the low side valve can be removed, but how do you replace the high side valve? Do you have to remove the whole hose assembly and go at it from the back side or is that not a serviceable item? Do I have to replace the entire hose/valve assembly? Its hot down here right now and I need to get this thing fixed asap, thanks in advance for any help.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The valve core itself is replaceable, or replace the the whole fitting. It should unscrew from the manifold.

3. OldBlueZ71

OldBlueZ71 Member

I did not want to get heavy handed with the fitting, I see that it is a hex shape that you could put a wrench on, but the whole fitting looks to be welded in place. The guts are unlike the low pressure side which is similar to a shrade valve that you can just unscrew. How do you just replace the valve core?

4. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

You might have to replace the manifold lines that go to the compressor.

If your system is similar to the one in mine, the High Pressure valve is not a swap like the low side is.
    You would need to remove the hose lines going to the compressor and replace them.
    And then do a vacuum and charge on your system.

BTW-- I used to live in Milton....
    Miss the P.cola beaches. :(

5. OldBlueZ71

OldBlueZ71 Member

I was just out on Johnson's beach yesterday after cruising around in the boat on the inner coastal.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

That is what I was afraid of, already checked out the part on Rock Auto, I was surprised to see that the whole assembly was only $50. Even though I hate to do it, I might just take it to the shop down the road and have them fix it.

6. MightyMax

Well I assume your system has been evacuated, so nothing in it.....

In which case, what I would do....might save you a bit of money.
    Replace the manifold assy. hoses......
    Then take it down, and just have them do a recharge on it.....

I would be curious to hear how much they charge you, but I would expect between $200 - $400...but I could be very wrong.

But if your lines are only $50, then that is pretty cheap.
    The one on mine, I think was around $100

7. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 New Member

I just ordered the hose in question AND the dryer/accumulator (silver can on the firewall) since its purpose is to help dry any moisture in the system (as well as a holding reservoir).

Parts cost me about $60 for the hose and like $15 for the dryer (plus shipping). Figure if I have to do one, I'll do both.

I have the same issue with mine....but that 'hi pressure stem' that fits INSIDE the 'hex head stem' that's welded on....they stripped the inside threads off, and they smashed the outside part with pliers or something. I had to replace the compressor and belt when the clutch locked up. Parts should be in this week (new headlights I ordered came in today :glasses: & I ordered it all at the same time).

Good luck on your repair. I have a friend with a vac pump so I'll prolly borrow it or swap it all at his place.

8. MightyMax

If you bought and plan to change out all that stuff, you may want to go ahead and do the orifice tube as well.

9. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 New Member

ok...I dunno what this is or how it plays in the system.

Please explain...I'm still learning A/C systems...

10. MightyMax

It is a filter, and it comes out of the condensor....

What truck are you doing?