1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Damaged bed. Repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by McClintoc, Aug 18, 2012.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

So, a year and a half ago, I took a turn too fast, did a 180 and put my '01 Silverado into a ditch. There was no ice on the road but it was night time and the air temp was about 20 degrees. The entire passenger side of my bed is crushed. Fortunately, there is no damage to the cab or frame, just the bed body panel. In unrelated activities, the driver's side bed has some minor dents and half my tailgate is missing its clear coat. Needless to say, my whole bed looks terrible. My question is, would it be cheaper to buy a whole new bed or have a body shop replace all the panels and paint the whole bed?

I am looking for a maroon shortbox. The year doesn't matter so long as it fits a 2001, so I figure a '99 to '04-ish bed will work. I'd like it to be a step-side so I can give my truck a new look but a regular, straight side will do fine if that's all I can find. Ultimately it just needs to be maroon, undamaged and fit a 2001 Silverado.

I work two jobs (about 70 hours a week) and just haven't had the time to look at local junk yards nor price local body shops for the repair work. The few beds I have seen on Craig's List were either Maroon with some minor damage (what's the point?) or undamaged but in a different color. If I picked up an undamamged bed of a different color and had it repainted, I figure I'll be pushing about a thousand dolllars and then'll I'll be in body shop territory. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
  2. Gryphon

Gryphon Rockstar 100 Posts

A bed replacement may be cheaper, especially from a yard, including painting. A repair is going to have to be repainted too.

Considered a flatbed?
  3. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

I would check some truck oriented dealers who cater to construction and landscapers. Many swap beds for flat beds, utility, dump etc.... and have beds usually sitting around. Also check utility bed dealers and snow plow dealers (if in your area) and same thing, they take beds on trade. I see beds on racks at a local truck body place all the time, mostly fords but always worth a shot. If I were you I would consider finding a good welder to make up a nice flat bed with removable wood side rails. Something different and prob a lot cheaper. Make it look how you want too, diamond plate, teak wood etc...
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Jokingly, I have considered a flat bed. I know they are abundant from truck accessory shops but I just wouldn't have much use for one.