Damn kids stealing my firewood

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, May 4, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

So, I noticed at the end of last summer that my stack of firewood was getting smaller. It seems that 4 cords up and walked away. I figured out that the neighborhood teenagers are stealing it. I talked with the kid that I know everyone follows. Then my buddy a sherrif deputy had a talk with him also. They stopped taking it for a week or so. Then they took another cord. So, I built a barrier of sorts with a bunch of downed branches from the woods. This stopped them. Well, this spring rolled around and I got sick of looking at a pile of sticks in front of the woodpile. So, we burned it. I looked out this morning and they took another cord. I back up to woods so they just come out of the woods, take it and head for the hills. I swear I am going to catch these kids. I even considered borrowing one of the wildlife cameras from a friend so I could catch them doing it or getting one of those motion activated sprinklers that spray deer when they get near your garden. I sat up one night enjoying a few beers and sitting in the shadows with my night vision monocular, but they did not show up. I have about 4 cords left. At least they are taking the pine and not the hardwood. Sorry about the rant but I am pretty upset. I spent two days hauling all of that wood and a day with a rented splitter, splitting it. Any suggestions to catch these punks or at least make my wood pile less appealing? I know that some of you guys are pretty creative. I thought about spraying some of it with something that would stink when they burn it, but that will not matter to them. Oh, and I have 2 large pitbulls! They never hear them back there stealing the wood. Thanks guys!
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Build a cheap pen around the wood, but big enough for your dogs to hang out in.

I am personally mean enough to run electric fence wire through the pile, weaving it in and out of the logs. Let 'em get THAT wrapped around their hand. they will be happy to see you coming and will probably never come onto your property again!
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I may have to visit tractor supply, the electric fence thing is a good idea. But, I don't want to trap the Fox that lives in the middle in the pile. I can't build a pen, The property is actually behind mine, it is owned by a wetlands conservation group. They agreed to let me store my wood there in exchange I keep the grass cut. So I am not able to build anything on the area. I have lived here 9 years with no problem, then last summer they started.
  4. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

I used to have my recording studio located in a 20x20 shed that was finished out on the inside. It looked like a lawn shed from the outside. I had some kids nosing around and decided to run electric fence wire to the aluminum window frames and the lock and hasp by connecting the wire to the inside where the bolts come through the door and on a screw on the window frames. One night, I heard this ruckus outside in the middle of the night and came outside to a group of teenagers running down the driveway. Apparently, one of them put their hands somewhere they didn't belong. They never came back after that.

***Side note***

Make sure to power the electric wire down before trying to unlock the door. I don't care to admit how I learned that lesson! LOL!
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

They also now have these really cheap cameras that are motion activated. They are wireless and tie to your computer, so when activated, you computer records what is happening and it also sends an immediate alert to you phone so you can see "live" what is going on. My neighbor has had trouble with teens and he ended getting the kit. I took him about 20 minutes to set it all up.
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Yeah... but where's the fun in THAT?! My way, you get to teach kids how to "Moon Walk" ROFLMAO!
  7. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

You could try mounting a motion detecting spotlight near the pile, then put a stake in the ground with enough chain for the dogs to get all the way around the woodpile. I highly doubt they'd ever come back haha. The only problem i can see with this is the fox living in the pile.
  8. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

I got ONE word for ya... "BZZZZZZZT!" Haahaahaahaa!

MAN! I have had WAYYY too much coffee today!
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I am really liking the bzzzzz idea. I still have the fox issue. He has an agreement with my 90lb and 65 lb dogs. Stay in the pile when we are out and we will not eat you. I wish the fox would just bite the teens.
  10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

I know, I know...I read your post and started laughing. I knew someone with an electric fence and it turned out he is the one who kept getting shocked, which I think is hilarious.
  11. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Set one of these up, imo.

Attached Files:

12. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

It only took ONCE for me!
  13. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

That's a keeper....definitely going to my saved file.
  14. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

That is what happens when I get bored at work.
  15. Curky

Curky New Member

I would be upset too. The motion sincere light sound good, I had this cheep critter be gone thing. That took batteries and when something came within 15 feet of it. It goes off and it is like a car siren. Very loud, when it wakes you up (depending on where you live) walk outside with a 22 pistol and just shoot it straight in the ground. I don’t know if they will come back after that. Just do the cameras and lights. Then go make a police report.
  16. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I will look for the critter control thing. That would be awesome. I have a 500watt motion light in the area. But, apparently they can stay in the shadows.
  17. Curky

Curky New Member

Her along these lines, there are thousands of them. You just have find the loud one. Google this to give you an idea of what I am talking about, Ultrasonic Deer Repeller

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

I sent you a mesage with something that will work better. Let me know if you need more.
  18. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

Have you placed 2x6's around the pile yet. I am talking camouflage them. Oh I forgot to mention pound several nails in them so when they walk in the dark they will step on them and with out steel shank boots they will get a new sensation. The fox you say. The fox will know where the nails are and avoid them, experience tells me this. All you or the police need do is follow the trace of blood to the crooks home.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

So is the new weed? Do they smoke that much or are they mountain men wanna bees?
  19. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Chances are it is a little of both! The kid everyone follows got kicked out of school for being caught with weed a couple times. His dad is in and out of prison all the time. A neighbor took him under his wing, was teaching how to build things and fix cars. After about 6 months the guy walked out into his garage and discovered that they broke into his garage and took the beer out of his fridge. Mess with my wood, Fine! Touch my Garage beer or the mason jar with my shine in it, we have an issue. That beer and moonshine are required for all night time waxing jobs on the truck or boat. Sometimes the beer takes too long. So A shot or 2 of shine and the truck always turns out better.
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  20. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

LMNBO Does that shine make you go blind? Or have the refined the process to restore your sight after drinking shine from the 50's and 60's?