1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Damn kids stealing my firewood

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, May 4, 2012.

1. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I remember seeing an attachment for your garden hose that was on a motion sensor. When activated it would spray them. Not as exciting as the electric fence but chances are if you don't see them stealing the wood you won't see them being Lit up with the fence or sprayed with the hose.

Ok so do the electric fence and for the Hell of it the motion sensor on the hose at the same time!

Sucks thought I know.
  2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Yup . Camera and your choice of other solutions.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm still a rock salt fan. Non-lethal approaches are best and that one apparently hurts like hell.
  4. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I thought about the sprinkler. I did not think about the dye. Great idea. A guy in class recommended taking my nail gun to the first 2 layers of wood. I have to figure out how to get my current camera to motion activate. It will be a good laugh watching them attempt to pull wood off of the pile. Then the hose with dye and the motion alarm. That will scare the crap out of them.
  6. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't like theives! I have ripped off before and it pisses me off! I would probably do the shotgun loaded with rock salt, it gets the message across very quick, don't forget to put no trespassing signs up, it gives you more leverage with the law.

Get rid of the fox and put a badger in your wood pile, he will get definate results!

Good Luck!
  7. Coach24

AGain some very good ideas but be careful in choosing your weapon of choice. Maybe even talk to the local law officer and see if you can get some clear guidelines
    1 person likes this.
  8. Coach24

Any update? Success or mode of deterrent?
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There may happen to be some pieces of wood with nails sticking out of them laying around the pile. Grass may be hiding that wood. Some mouse traps may have found their way into the pile in strategic locations. A few of my logs on top of the pile have grow nails. They have not been around in at least a week. Their family just ripped down a deck so they have plenty of wood for a few days.
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Then you might not have any kids to worry about in a few days if that deck was made of pressure-treated wood, like it should have been...:gasp: