1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

damn truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by coldsteel1993, Jan 17, 2008.

1. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 New Member

after all the time and effort I put in to doing the timing chain and all of that. I had to replace the plugs, now almost a month later my truck is doing the same thing. I get spark from the wires to the plugs, but no spark from the plugs. Could I be burning out the plugs becuase of the headers? If so do I need a special set of plugs? Or is there a bigger problem that I'm not seeing?:grrrrrr:
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

What color is the spark at the wires?
    And when you say wires do you mean at the boot where they go on the plug?
    Or at the distributor?

It is possible you are not getting a good enough spark to fire the plugs. Or that the ignition module is weak. coil is week and there are other things.
  3. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 New Member

its blue, a light blue. I have replace both the coil and the ignition module. I get spark at the boot.
  4. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 New Member

okay I just went out and checked again, it's a reddish spark and it seems pretty strong, and now i'm getting it at the plug as well. the ends of the plugs are darker then they were.
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I wonder if it could be the wires? It sounds like you have replaced everything but those. And if the headers are near them it is a possibility.

Just guessing here but that would be my next step. Wires that are brittle can be cracked inside and you would never know it by looking at them and where you got spark of one color before and it is changing now that would be a good possibility.

Good luck, I hate electrical problems.
  6. Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke New Member

Just tossing this out there, your ground is good for the engine.(no grease on it). we'll get it figured.
  7. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 New Member

ground is good, haven't messed with the wires yet, gonna try that in the morning.
  8. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 New Member

checked the wires. I'm getting red spark from both plug and wire. I'm getting fuel. She tries to turn over but no go.
  9. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 New Member

okay pulled the cap the contacts look alittle white, is that a problem? I had replaced the coil about a month ago, and the ignition module at the same time, I did not replace the cap or the wires, could this be the problem. It ran one day( I moved it back from the road a bit)(it ran really rough) Then the next day it wouldn't start. That is where I'm at now.
  10. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

maybe the cap and rotor. this is a easy swap out andf should have been done with the plugs and igniton mod.....mike