1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DANG electric seat

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Tcarl, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Tcarl

Tcarl New Member

'03 Tahoe
    My driver seat just stopped, of corse not where I need it, the dealer says there's no manual override (that's smart). Any ideas on getting this to move so I can drive this thing a bit safer until it's fixed? Thanks
  2. Tazman

Tazman New Member

That just happened to my 03 Tahoe.

If yours is equipp'd as mine.....power memory seats, heated seats...etc , then you will have a control module under the driver's seat.

What happened to mine was the electrical connection at the underside of the seat was melted. There is a main power feed and ground feed....right next to each other, (another GM brilliant move) and the ground wire melts inside the plug and looses contact.

The result of non functioning power driver's seat and both front seatheaters. The passenger power seat works fine.

To fix the problem:

Reach under the seat at the plug and move the wires around while someone holds the power seat switch forward and the seat should move up and you can see the plug and wires.

Next unplug the seat wiring from the floor wiring and look at the plug..(mine was black inside)....
    what I did was cut the red and black feed wires(the thick 10gauge wires)and made a new connector and joined them up by adding some wire to each and soldering them in place.

Now it works fine...however, if yours still doesn't work after doing this, its possible that the power seat control module has blown.
    Hope this helps

Take care
    Steve Vancouver B.C.
    2003 Chevy Tahoe
    2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

3. Tcarl

Tcarl New Member

Thanks Steve, it was 1 wire in the connector that came loose, don't know how. I ended up taking it to the dealer yesterday afternoon and after 150 in labor and 18 for 'shop parts' it was fixed. But I'm glad to see your post, if it ever happens again I'll remember what you said and give it a try.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about your problem from just one wire. Happy to know that they fixed it though.

For the want of a nail, the Tahoe was lost...
  5. DocEvil

DocEvil New Member

Thanks for your post. Luckily I only had a loose connection. Problem solved and no trip to the dealer.

Bentley
  6. ohhellnaw

ohhellnaw New Member

I have a 2003 Tahoe and both heated seats are not working. When you press the heated seat button, the lights come on but when you let go of the button, the lights go out. This is for both sides, driver and passenger this is occuring. Any idea what the problem maybe? Please email me at ohhellnaw@gmail.com
  7. DocEvil

DocEvil New Member

Sounds like the switch is nuked. If the lights come on when you press the button, there must be power at least to the switch. You could remove the door panel and test the output side.
    I've had two issues with the seats in my Silverado. 1st was the connector under the seat. It can easily be bumped and then you lose all power to the seats. 2nd problem occured when a wire had broken off in the door bellows. This problem was off and on as the wire made contact intermittenly. Patched that up and end of problem.
    Haven't had any issues with my Tahoe but it's a bit older (2000).
  8. giorge

giorge New Member 100 Posts

I also have problems with my seat heater on the drivers seat in my 03 Avalanche, it turns on and starts to get warm and shuts off. The passenger side is fine, I have had problems before and my breaker was bad, but everything quit when it went bad. I guess I will have to check my wiring under the seat. I already checked everything in the door and its all good.
    As long as the passenger side works so I don't have to listen to the whining that the seat is cold, it's all good!
  9. DocEvil

DocEvil New Member

"As long as the passenger side works so I don't have to listen to the whining that the seat is cold, it's all good!"

That, is funny. And so true.

The driver's side on my Silverado gets way warmer than the passenger side. Don't know why. Also, for the last three years, when I would use the remote starter and the outside temp was below freezing, the seats would come on automagically. For some reason, this doesn't work anymore. It quit doing this after the truck sat for three days. No one else I know has working nor do I know if it was something programmed in by the remote starter installers.
  10. Frozen

Frozen New Member

Hey Steve ( Tazman), thanks for posting your repair---I was able to google the problem, find you post and fix my '04 Chevy 3500 in less than a hour. Nice to be able to move the seat again! My black wire was nuked in the connector, cut the ends off, spliced in a new piece and all working again. Appreciate it, buddy!