1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dang on brakes I think

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 04Avalanche, Apr 26, 2009.

1. 04Avalanche

04Avalanche New Member

I got the 2004 avalanche, my brakes have been squeaking and pinging. On the highway they get very noisy when i move the steering wheel to the right. When i moves steering wheel to the left no noise. Some noise when i brake at a light or stop sign. noise, is for sure, coming from the front.

Tonight I changed the front rotors and pads and noise is still their, especially when im on the highway doing 65 and barely move the steering wheel to right, loud squeak/ping noise. If i hold the steering wheel to the left no noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get rid of this noise?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

First, welcome to the site. As far as the "sqeaking", did you check the wheel bearings when you replaced the rotors? It could be something as simple as the wheel bearing going out on the side the noise is coming from. You probably alreeady checked that, but something on the noisy side is in a bind or failing. Hopefully someone with a better answer can give you some info'. Good luck!
  3. 04Avalanche

04Avalanche New Member

No i didnt check the wheel bearings. Im a rookie when it comes to this stuff. Im not even for sure how to check a wheel bearing but after driving the truck around more today i think that might be the answer. No noise at all when i break now just when i turn to the right it has a loud squeak.
  4. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm no master by anymeans but that sounds like the wheel bearing to me as well as it puts some torsion on the bearing when you turn the wheel and it might have some slack or play in it from being worn out.
  5. 04Avalanche

04Avalanche New Member

Do you have to take the wheels off to grease them?
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the type of wheel bearing you have is a non-serviceable type sealed in a easy to bolt on package if it makes noise or is loose you have to replace the entire unit witch are not cheap.

to check with the wheels off the ground grab the top and bottom of the wheel and push and pull on top and bottom and feel for any play, if its loose should have a slight click when you shake it down

to check for a noisy bearing driving straight down a empty road turn the wheel to the left if more noise is heared you are looking at the right wheel bearing, if you turn to the right and hear more noise you will be looking at the left bearing
  7. 04Avalanche

04Avalanche New Member

z71 guy thanks much, thats got to be what it is. I wish I would have read that earlier because I spent a half hour under their looking for a grease nipple.

What would be your guess on the estimated cost to replace one or both if i should go on and have both done?
    I'll most likely take it to a full service chevron station up the street.
  8. yeh deff sounds like a wheel bearing too me. im pretty decent with mechanics but not the best.... but to e it sounds like that.
  9. 04Avalanche

04Avalanche New Member

ok dudes, im nervous now, i took it to that chevron station, they test drove it. Called me back to get a better explanation of what it was doing. When i told him what ive said on here, and that I was pretty sure it was a wheel bearing. He said it wouldnt be a wheel bearing. wtf I dont think they even worked on truck to much and now I probaly wont get it back unitll tomorrow. 2 days without, is killing me.