Dash Grab Handle removal - 2000 Sierra ???????????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Dante04SRT, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT New Member

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra and I'm currently in the process of taking the upper dash cover off.... to retrieve a Nintento DS game of all things!

I have everything off/apart, EXCEPT the stupid dash grab handle. I have removed the small white U-clips right behind the dash, but can't seem to pull the silly thing out....

ANY HELP??

<---- Completely frustrated on Thanksgiving Day!

2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

how many times must we tell people to not play their Nintendo's while driving!!!:lol:

(kdding)

welcome to the site!
    Hopefuly we can help you out!

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've never tried to take it apart, not that I have not lost things down the dash. Welcome to the site and I hope someone can help out, traffic is a little slow due to the holiday but don't give up on us!

4. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT New Member

Hopefully someone has done this before - Its actually my wife's daily driver and she won't appreciate the dash being completely torn apart for long! :)

5. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT New Member

BUMP - Anyone? The dash is still torn apart!

6. dogger

dogger New Member

take your glove box out and look up from under the dash. there should be two white clips you need to slid out to release the grab bar.

7. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT New Member

Done already - Still won't budge - I've even tried a leverage bar in there to push the pin-end out and nothing....

8. dogger

dogger New Member

those clips are what hold the grab bar in and nothing else. it's been a while since I removed mine so I don't remember exactly what I did to remove them.

9. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT New Member

I've removed the white clips and the bar won't budge - I've even tried prying it out with a bar behind the dash at the pin inside the dash - Did yours just pull out easily after you removed the white clips?

10. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

might look on the outter side of the handle near where it connects to the dash and see if there are any plastic oval shaped inserts in it. if there are you'll need to pop those out and there's probably a big thick screw on each end that has to be backed out first. then the handle should come right out. I thought those white clips were just to hold the screw backs to the inside of the dash. My Tahoe doesn't have one but my wife's does and hers has some thick coarse phillips screws in each end of it. if all else fails call the dealer and ask one of thier mechanics or go by there and ask. I am not opposed to doing that myself.