1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dash leak 2005 yukon xl, Help

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I picked up a yukon xl monday. today was the first day it rained and I noticed a puddle on the floor of the passenger side. It is water, not coolant. The AC has not been run. It only happened today in a heavy rain. I pulled the cover down and see that it is actually leaking out of the hole where the blower resistor goes. (the resistor and blower motor were replaced the day I bought it by the seller, now I know why) Any ideas where this water can come from? Do I need to pull the grill under the wiper arms and look for something there? A plugged drain? Where are the drains located up there? What do I look for? I could really use help on this one. I dont want my new truck to start getting moldy. Thanks
  2. Pikey

Oh, figured out what the problem was. It was a cover under the cowl. The seal was broken and missing. I took it off, cleaned it up, put some silicon on it and replaced it. Here are some pictures of the cover and area. IMG_0296.jpg IMG_0297.jpg IMG_0298.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Glad you got it fixed their Pikey
  4. GumboMan

GumboMan New Member

Pikey,

That appears to be the SAME problem I'm experiencing. I also replaced the blower motor resistor only to have the new one fail after a bit rain. I also noticed water in the same area and also suspected leakage around the cowl. Since I just came to this conclusion today and just completed an internet search, haven't had time to make any corrections. I have a question about your pics. The cowl is the rectangular hole on the left, but what about the rectangular hole on the right? Should that also be covered or is that the ac air intake or something else? Thanks for the pics!!
  5. Pikey

The hole on the right is not covered. There is some sort of foam seal on it. If I remember correctly the seal only covers 3/4 of the outside of the hole. It is around the top, on the left edge and part of the bottom. I believe that that the right hole is the air intake for the HVAC.
  6. GumboMan

GumboMan New Member

Thanks Pikey, I'll work on that today and post a reply when completed.

- - - Updated - - -

Pikey, a couple of questions. Did you have to remove the hood for easy access to the cover? also, are there clamps securing the cover that needs be removed/pushed from underneath? Thanks.
  7. Pikey

No, I did not remove the hood. I did take the wiper arms off. I believe that there were just clips that I had to pull off. I just slid a screw driver behind them and popped them off. There may have been a few screws, but I do not think so.