Dash light conversion to LED

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by tattooed4life, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm wanting to do a LED dash conversion on my '04 GMC Sierra but I don't want to solder. (More like I don't want to risk ruining the existing dash panel!) How many bulbs are there to replace? Also, can someone confirm whether soldering is or isn't required on the 04's -- I've read a number of posts but just am not sure for that year.

Surreal

2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have no idea how many bulbs are on the '04 (more than 6 for sure though, since they are smaller) but they DO require soldering on any truck from 2003 and up.

3. SurrealOne

Meh. It'll have to wait, then. I'll need to be stupidly bored to want to tackle that one. :)

4. ljtoolman

ljtoolman New Member

When I went to " Superbright Led " website , they offered 90 deg and 120 deg 194 bulbs. What should I get for cluster conversion ?

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You want the widest angle possible. If the 120 degree is as wide as they come, get those. The wider the angle that the LED can output light, the more evenly the gauges will be lit without hotspots and dark areas.

6. SurrealOne

I find myself thinking about this, again. I'm wondering if a junked gauge panel from another Sierra might be a cheap and easy test bed. The cluster seemed to require only an electrical connection, so in theory I could get a second cluster, hack it up, drop it into place, and try it. If it's a no-go I could swap back to my original cluster.

Does anyone see an issue with this?

7. Scooter

Scooter Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey if you decide to go through with it let me know how it goes..I have an
    06 silverado that I'm looking to do to.

8. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I'm working on a build thread for my 04 silverado LT. It will cover my complete sound system, viper 5904 auto start and security system and an almost complete dash conversion to LED.

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

zigger215 bring on the pics and a how to write up

10. Scooter

Scooter Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah would def like to see some pics, I have been looking at the viper system myself just dont want to spend the same amount on labor as the system itself costs....I hate cali labor cost.