1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dash Noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by glp08, Feb 27, 2009.

1. glp08

glp08 New Member

I have a 2008 Silverado Ext Cab with a 5.3L. When I'm going down the rode at a steady pace between 30 and about 50 mph I get a sound coming from the dash. It sounds like a vibration or rattle. Almost like its a very small ball bearing shaking around in a very small area. Does anyone else get this or know what it is. I'm also wondering if it is a switch or something to tell the convertor to lock up. Driving me nuts:grrrrrr:
  2. RVJ

RVJ Member

Try removing the black plastic engine cover, (it snaps into rubber grommets) then go for a ride and see if it's gone. My 08 Sierra did the same thing and it was a wiring loom rattling on the engine cover. I used wire ties to secure everything and the rattle has been gone ever since.
  3. GreenZ71

GreenZ71 New Member

I get a rattle in my 99 Seirra that seems to be right in the middle of my dash. Sounds about the same what you have. I will try the same suggestion though.
  4. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have the same exact noise from the dash of my 08 1500 4x4. I took it to the dealer a while back and of course it would not reproduce the noise while it was there. I am going to try taking off the engine cover also.
  5. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member

i seem to have this noise that ya'll are talking about in my 09 ext cab... except mine comes more often on my drivers side column it sounds like.... i cant figure out what it is....
  6. Greg84

Greg84 New Member

The trim around the windshield can make a rattling noise, its really noticeable if you have a bug shield on the truck. A little silicone adhesive under the rubber molding on the sides of the windshield will stop it if thats whats causing it.
  7. mkruluts

mkruluts New Member

My truck has a knock sound that seems to come from the dash as well... It only happens in cold weather and I just assumed it was the tubes and hoses under the cold conditions...
  8. cobra2end

cobra2end New Member

A friend of mine has a 99 gmc and his had the plastic part in front of window that rattled going donw the road. Might be the same thing
  9. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member

its pretty common for the front dash trim (the long piece under the windshield w/ the sunload sensor) to rattle. pop it off and put tape around the retainers. you want a "bushing" between the panel and dash