1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dash Repair

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MBurke, Feb 9, 2009.

1. MBurke

MBurke Rockstar

Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to repair some scratches on a Dashboard. Scratches on plastic seem to show no mater what you do. I have tried scotch bright pads to smooth them out and them applying alot of Armorall to darken them up .....but it never seems to last long. Is there anyway to repair these light scratches ?

Thanks
    Mike
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Mike, there is a kit that you can purchase for just this purpose. They come with difference coloured paints, epoxy, etc etc.

Basically what you do is sand down the raised areas and mix your paint to match the dash. Apply it to the area and then with a heat source (it has a little metal plate that you heat up on an iron or you can stick it in the tip of your soldering iron) you cure it with heat. The way you get the grain is nice, too. The kit has several "negative" sample pieces of paper/cloth. They are all different and the pattern on the samples range from leather veins to small grain dash. You place those on the pain/epoxy and apply the heat to them. This presses the grain into the repair.

I've been meaning to do a write-up on this. I had to repair a tear in a seat using this method. It's actually quite simple and the kit is relatively inexpensive.