1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

dashboard rattle

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tex956, Dec 18, 2008.

1. tex956

tex956 New Member

Hi everyone,

I've got an '08 Silverado 2500HD with the Diesel engine and Allison tranny; I love it, but it's got two quirks that are driving me nuts:

There's a LOUD vibration/rattle that seems to be coming from the passanger side dashboard, around the blower for the ac, but the noise happens even when the ac is off. It seems more noticeable when I first turn the truck on, or at idle. I've not been able to isolate it, and was wondering if anyone has run across the same thing?

Also, there's a scraping or rubbing noise at the steering wheel, especially when maneuvering at slow speeds. Sounds like plastic on plastic, but I can't see scrape marks anywhere, so I don't know what to make of it. Any feedback is appreciated!

:sign0144:
  2. DocEvil

DocEvil New Member

I have an '04 3500 diesel and experience the same vibration/hum/dash rattle at idle. Can't quite figure out the cause. Feels like the timing is off yet it runs very well. I'd like to know if this is normal.

As for the scraping at the steering wheel. I had an odd rubbing or clunking noise in my sterring column that dang near drove me nuts. At the bottom of the steering column housing, in an area just above the brake pedal, there is a plastic collar that appears to be there to keep the shaft centered. If you look, you'll find it's not a very tight fit. I ended up drilling a small hole in the outer housing and then used a piece of wire thru the hole and the platic collar to hold it from moving. End of rattle.