1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dashboard Scratches

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by KyleZ71, Aug 8, 2013.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

After moving back from college I had my truck packed so full that I even had a small cardboard box on the passenger side dash. After unpacking I saw that the box scratched through the gray coating down to the black plastic. Was wondering if there is a way to recoat it or paint it, or would the best bet be replacing the whole dash? Thanks for any opinions or ideas you guys might have.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Years ago, I wanted to replace a trim piece in a car, I ordered the part from GM and they told me it would be black (the inside of the car was tan). I got a "rattle" can and painted it. Looked like a perfect match. I don't remember where I bought the paint, I think it was a body shop supply house.
  3. KyleZ71

I know they make paint but didn't know how it holds up. How did it hold up for you?
  4. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

You could always purchase a dash pad cover and cover up the entire top of the dash. You wouldn't SEE the scratches....... Might even be less expensive to purchase than a dash replacement piece, and less trouble to install.
  5. KyleZ71

Sorry those dash covers I think are really hideous. Thanks for the idea but they are just not me
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have also seem the paint interior dash paint in some autopart stores. I have never used it. I am curious to know how it matches and holds up as I have a spot with the color gone and it is black also. I dated a girl in high school that painted her tan el camino dash black with the paint. It looked great but I do not know how it held up.
  7. KyleZ71

Well I plan on doing it (after I go back to school) and I will take pictures to show. Having a spare in the bed takes soo much space up but I know as soon as I take it out, ill have a flat.
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Mine held up very well. It was a 3 seat station wagon, the part was a speaker grill that replaced a shelf. My 3 kids continued to use the grill as as shelf. I kept the can to do a possible repaint, but never had to. Oh, and it was a perfect match.

You have scratches, you may need to fill the scratches to get a great job.