1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS 1999' hoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by megawells, Aug 20, 2009.

1. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

2. poncho62

poncho62 Member

Plus, the fact that its illegal in many places
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't get it either. But, to each his own. It is not that I like DRLs, but I do not dislike them. I think that they help keep people safe. I don't know how many times in poor driving condition that I have only been able to see another vehicle because it had drls on. I have to say that it is pretty often. I guess that if for some reason you are driving around with your headlights off and want to be undetected then you would have to disable them.
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I agree with [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] DRLs make it much easier on a cloudy, foggy or rainy day to see other cars and for them to see you. The DRL system in my 96' Tahoe has never worked since I've owned it, but I counter that by driving with my headlights on all the time because I rather be seen in any situation to possibly prevent an accident. To be honest I just learned that GM was the company that brought DRLs to the US because they didn't want to have 2 different headlight wiring systems for American and Canadian vehicles. They yearly send a petition to the DOT and NHTSA to make DRL mandated on all vehicles. They also got DRLs legalized in the US so they could follow both Canadian laws and US laws.
  5. Pikey

I remember those dumb saturn commercials when gm introduced the drls on those. Everyone would flag the saturn down and tell them that their headlights were on.
  6. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I guess that's as good a reason as any.

DRLs are illegal? I am not aware of where they are. GM sells cars in all 50 states and DRLs are standard. So is GM selling illegal vehicles?
  7. poncho62

poncho62 Member

Sorry...I was saying that disabling them is illegal in many places
  8. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

BUT - why then can I turn my switch for the controls of my Light system down to turn off my DRL's if it's illegal? Just asking.....:rules:
  9. Pikey

10. Big_Al

Big_Al New Member

I like to be able to flash my lights during the day as a signal to drivers (it's ok to merge, go ahead you have the right of way at a 4 way, you are approaching a speed trap etc....)

Can you just "make" the switch at the park brake pedal that turns off the lights without causing the brake light to come on or is it the same circuit? TIA....Al