1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Daytime Running Lights Not Working

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by MWright936, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Recently, I've noticed that my lower lenses (turn signal) on my '05 Silverado are getting moisture in them. I'll be working on drying and sealing them to prevent that, but my question is about my lights.

One of my daytime running lights burnt out. I don't know if it was caused by the moisture or "natural causes", but I went ahead and bought 2 new bulbs to replace both since I figured the other might not be far behind. When I replaced the bulbs, I noticed the sockets were slightly blackened. Perhaps the moisture caused a short? Anyway, I went ahead and replaced both bulbs, but now neither of them are working. The bulbs I bought were the correct ones for my truck, according to the Sylvania website. The second one I replaced was working until I put the new bulb in it.

I guess my question is, do y'all think I need to replace those sockets? All other lights seem to be working fine. Is it possible the moisture in the lenses burnt out the bulb and ruined the sockets too? If so, I'll wait until I can seal them off (it's been raining quite a bit here, and I haven't been able to get them dried out enough to seal them up) to make sure the moisture doesn't short them out again.

All thoughts and recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

did you try reinstalling the one that was working? Make sure its seated properly and clean the connections. A little odd if it was working before switching lights as it shouldnt have killed the socket during the switch. The other way is to get a light probe and have the running lights on and poke the hot wire (or terminal) at the socket to make sure its getting juice to the socket.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Gm has had problems with sockets and the surges in the DRL's this is why you see a lot of GM's with only one working..But if you have a 12 volt tester check the wires first and then the socket..
  4. MWright936

Thanks for the replies! They seem to be working fine now. We had some dry days, and one day I noticed my truck's reflection in the car in front of me, and they were both on. Not sure what changed, but no issues now. I also took the opportunity while we weren't having rain to completely dry out the lenses and put a bead of silicone all the way around the seam and anywhere else it looked like moisture could get in. I also replaced my corner marker bulbs and turn signals. It rained this weekend, and I didn't see any moisture in the lenses so hopefully I'm good!
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Remember they only go on when you are in Drive when you are parked they will go off Unless you have FTDRL Mod..
  6. MWright936

Yeah I thought about that, and I probably was looking at them in park at first, but then I checked them with it in drive, and they still weren't working. Oh well, guess I won't think too much on it. They are working fine, and the lenses look good as new.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Trying to think if they parking brake has to be off as well for them to work (but that could be my saturn).