Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Dead battery, or something else draining battery?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Cobrasix, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Cobrasix

Cobrasix New Member

I've had this problem, last 6 months. Battery will be dead if I don't drive the truck for 3-4 days, which is frequent since the truck has 315k miles on it and is a weekend warrior/back up vehicle.

I put my multimeter inline on the negative side. My drain is 1A DC. I know the usually acceptable drain is around .2A. I pulled every fuse in both the in cab box and the underhood box and nothing made a difference. 1.08A for everything. Thought I was close a couple of times until I realized the key was in the ignition and radio still running (volume off). Don't you hate false positives? After that, everything was steady except for pulling the radio fuse (which dropped it from 1.08 to 1.07A).

Now, the battery will seem to hold a charge just fine, but just slowly drains. Once it's charged, it will drive fine with no problems. And if I drive it every few days it is fine.

2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Looking over the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual it appears all loads are fused but the alternator is not. Try disconnecting it to see if your drain goes away. Also the starter is direct connected form the battery, not likely the culprit but worth trying just to eliminate it as the problem.
    Oh and batteries CAN be defective and self discharge. Maybe try swapping it out from another vehicle and see if problem follows it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. Cobrasix

Cobrasix New Member

I'll give that a try. Thanks for some other thoughts.

4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

After thinking a bit, the battery is not likely to be the problem in that you have an external load of better than an amp.