dead battery?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by vegaschevy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. vegaschevy

vegaschevy New Member

I have not been driving the truck as much as I used to, various reasons. Went out to take off on Saturdaythe 7th, and it would not start. Had enough juice to operate the remote locks and every thing else. Just got that click click click. Figured it was from not being driven enough. Hooked up the charger and it charged up in 30 minutes or so. It is a sealed high performance one, got tired of the old one leaking all over everything and corroding stuff. Drove it for few miles over to friends house for bbq, then home no problem. Went out this morning Tuesday the 10th and the same damn thing. So I have a question....is there a short in the system or regulator allowing it to drain while it sets there. The guage shows it charging while running fine. And I have let it set longer than that before without this problem.

2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Pull the battery and get it tested with all the extremes in weather it might have failed early.

If you are going to leave it parked for long periods consider a trickle charger or look up on ebay for a vw solar charger. When the cars are sitting waiting on the docks or being shipped they have a small solar panel on the dash that plugs in the cigarette lighter to keep the battery charged and you can like I said find them on ebay pretty cheap.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dicks/avr/batwatch/index.html

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. bubba33

bubba33 Rockstar 100 Posts

battery may have a dead cell,or a short

4. vegaschevy

vegaschevy New Member

Thanks for the input guys..evreytime you take a battery back, they put it on a charger and if charges they tell you nothing is wrong with it. Anything to keep from giving you a new one.
    Also have seen the solar chargers, but it should be able to set for more than a couple days without one of those. Thought about getting one for my trailer..would be the ****s out camping and after two days not start in the middle of no where.

5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

If it was me I would take it in and have them put it in their charger and then load test it and see how it does (let them load test it).

Here are some links that might help when you have to talk with them and try to avoid the games, I hate when then try to bs you into a new battery.

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html
    http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa101604c.htm

6. mrfixdit

mrfixdit Rockstar 100 Posts

dead battery

You said you have a sealed high performance battery. Is it a VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) or AGM (absorbed glass mat) because the AGM batteries shouldn't recieve a charging voltage over 14VDC as it will cause gassing which releases moisture through the pressure relief valves and the mats dry away from the plates leading to premature failure of the battery.Regular flooded batteries need gassing to circulate the electrolyte and prevent stratification but the AGM batteries have much less electrolyte and it is captured in a glass mat so there is no need for circulation. AGM batteries will work fine with regular charging conditions like the flooded batteries get (14.6 to 15.2VDC) but life expectancy will be reduced by 20 to 30%.

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I feel your pain trust me! I had TWO yellow top OPTIMA deep cycle batteries die on me last year, my truck sits for long periods of time also. I took the first one back to Summit Racing where I bought it, they told me that when you let a dry cell battery go all the way down until it has no charge that it effectively kills the cells in the battery. I bought a second one, and kept it on a trickle charger when I wasn't driving it. Over a period of time leaving it on the charger, the trouble light came on one day flashing red. I took it back to Summit Racing, and here those battery's are not meant to be left on a trickle charger. The voltage required to charge one of those is a lot higher than a standard charger, so basically I had it charging only half a**ed for 6 months. I finally went back to a regular battery from Wal-Mart, and just put a quick disconnect on the positive and negative battery terminals. It's all good now, even though I had to lose $400 in batteries to figure it out!

8. mrfixdit

mrfixdit Rockstar 100 Posts

dead battery

the optima blue top is an absorbed glass mat or "starved electrolyte" type batttery don't believe what you've heard, the optima website tells you that trickle charging is fine if the voltage is maintained 13.2 to 13.8 VDC and less than 1 amp. Gassing occurs as a chemical reaction not a temperature. Gassing voltage of lead acid batteries is 14.2 VDC at room temperature of about 70 degrees ( gassing voltage increases as ambient temperature decreases) so if you trickle charge at more than 14VDC you are slowly cooking your battery by either pressure release of moisture or plate shedding.

9. vegaschevy

vegaschevy New Member

Thanks guys...it would not start today again..so pulled it and took it back to checker auto parts. It is an optima blue top . So based on the information you all have given me it is an absorbed glass mat type. They said they would test it and call me when it is ready. They said a normal charger would not charge it correctly even on trickle.
    I went to this type after having the original battery die, then the second one had the leed pull out of it's side and leak all over. Corroded the tray and the wiper resevoir line from the tank to windshield nozzles. Had to replace the line ( wrapped it with a wiring harness sleeve to protect it in case) sandblasted the tray and repainted that. Put it all back together and used the new sealed optima one. almost two years out of this one. Will have more when I hear back from them.

10. vegaschevy

vegaschevy New Member

Update...after checker had it for overnight they called and said the battery was no good. Naturally the exact battery was not availble, went to a red top optima sealed unit and to get the terminals to configure correctly I had to upgrade $ 16.00. Seems to be doing the trick. Also took the time to read the brochure that came with it....yellow top for RV's and trolling motor....blue kinda an inbetween start and slow draw for as formentioned...red top for starting vehichles. Figure in another two years will be at it again, the heat is brutal on batteries out here in the desert. Can probably delete this thread now since problem solved...once again thanks for everyones help and input.