1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dead battery

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by coppcarz, Dec 10, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. coppcarz

coppcarz New Member

Ok, battery is so dead, remote unlock won't work and just found out the key won't go in the door lock....what are my options now????:grrrrrr:
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

reach up inside the grill from the bottom and pop the hood latch.. Ive had to do this a LOT of times with new GM trucks when i was driving a wrecker. Then you jump the truck off so you can hit the keyless or at least turn the key... Then jump the truck off and find out why the battery went dead.
  3. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 what Murdog said, even though it might be difficult for you.

Option 2.. If you can't access your hood latch to gain access to charge your battery, you can charge your battery through your trailer wireing B+ lead IF you remember which one it is, & then hook your chargers ground clamp to a clean chassis ground.

All this techno stuff is convienent & really great, untill Onstar tells you "sorry" we can't help you with this particular problem & then it just becomes a P.I.A. & the difficulty factor far outweighs the convienence.:rofl: ha ha ha

This is one reason you should put a tag wire on your hood latch so it can easily be hooked with a screwdriver, another piece of wire, or even a stick found alongside the road, not only because of remote/power door locks, & a dead battery, but because hood release cables tend to break at the most inopprotune times. Make it only long enough that you can barely reach it with your tool of choice. This will leave it far enough back in there & well hidden, so that auto & battery thieves won't see it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. mad1500hd

mad1500hd New Member 100 Posts

7pin.jpg hope this helps!
  5. coppcarz

coppcarz New Member

OK, what if i put positive to the 12+ of the the trailer hitch and negative to the chasis, will it give me a chance to unlock the doors that way?
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It depends on the amprege output of your battery charger & just how dead your battery really is, as far as whether it will do it immediately. Be patient as it may take 10-20 minutes for it to build the battery up far enough to actuate them.
  7. ChivaLRy

ChivaLRy New Member

Dude 1 word... locksmith. (or is that 2 words? lol) :rofl: Anyways, good luck! I never knew you could charge the battery from the trailer wiring??? Good to know.
  8. coppcarz

coppcarz New Member

Not looking to charge the car, just to get enough power to it to get the remote door locks to open, and then pop the hood, and then charge it or replace the battery.........

locksmith will slim jim the truck, or wedge the door at the top and slide something to slide the lock open, I can do that, but always risk of damaging something
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A lock smith cant get in either, the actuators are not able to be pulled without battery voltage, and getting the wedges in damages them. Honestly the fastest and easiest way is reach up and in and pop the hood..
    I had this problem ALOT when working with GM when i was driving a tow truck in 2009... We would get all of the dealer calls on this, and show up thinking it was an easy unlock.. Only to find out we have to climb under the truck and reach up (not very comfortable) to pop to hood.
  10. coppcarz

coppcarz New Member

Being lazy in nature paid off, on the Tahoe, look inside the grill, above the bow tie emblem, you will see the end cap of the hood release cable, get a long flat head screw driver, push onto the tab where that cap is resting, to the right, and hood pops right up......