1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

dead stereo... HELP

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by hondaaccord1991, Mar 4, 2009.

1. hondaaccord1991

hondaaccord1991 New Member

I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban fully loaded with the bose system. About 2 weeks ago the stereo was acting up and if you would crank the bass there wouldnt be any at all. It did this for about a week and then randomly there was no sound output at all. If you turn everything up there is still no sound. I checked the amp and stereo fuses and they are fine. Also when you turn on the rear stereo controls every speaker in the car pop very loud.
    Please help me
  2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi, I'm new here! My name is Chris and I've been into Chevy trucks since I was 13.

I'm mostly an engine guy, but it seems like one of two problems:
    1) A defect in the head unit itself, which probably means replacement.
    2) A bad ground, usually preceded by a whistling noise in the speakers when the truck is running.
    I'll add more suggestions if I think of any.
  3. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Rockstar 100 Posts

Id say either your stereo or your amp crapped out on ya. Pop your head unit out have hook up some speakers right off of it to see if your head unit is working or not. If either are bad i suggest getting after market. It will be cheaper and better the stock 94 stuff.
  4. hondaaccord1991

hondaaccord1991 New Member

ok thanks a lot guys. i'll check that stuf out this weekend
  5. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

you have a short in the wiring somewhere, if you move the stereo and here a pop or an arch thats what that is.. i would recheck all the wiring and make sure the connections are snug and that they have good connections and arent loose.
  6. gbalan

gbalan New Member

I've got the same problem with my 2004 Suburban. Had lots of static in the AM radio freq's varying with the engine RPM. Then the speakers just quit one day. On the drive home yesterday, they started working again. Can someone guide me as to where the head unit is or where to check for the ground? Thanks.