1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

dealer installed tow pkg ???

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by thndrr, Dec 23, 2011.

1. thndrr

thndrr New Member

when I bought my truck, part of the deal was to have a tow pkg installed. Took it the other day for the installation and now have a receiver and wiring with plug at the rear. My question..... I was told the truck already has a tranny cooler ? (its been cold, I havent crawled around underneath it) and, should I have received a brake control harness to plug in under the dash somewhere ? What about a relay for the electrical box ? Any idea ?? Thanks, Jim
  2. crwdsm

crwdsm New Member

How much extra did you pay for the package at the dealer?
  3. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

tranny cooler should be in front of the radiator.
  4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

generally they don't include a trailer brake. I think you have to buy that separately
  5. thndrr

thndrr New Member

i know they dont include a brake controller, but every truck ive had in the past w/ tow pkg came with a bag in the glove compartment with a harness to wire an aftermarket controller to, and usually a relay that plugged into the power box..
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If a Vehicle is equipped with the Heavy-Duty Trailering Option from the Factory,
    ......The wiring provisions (Wiring Harness)is included with the Vehicle as part of the Trailer Wiring Package from the factory. These provisions are for an electric brake controller. The instrument panel contains blunt cut wires behind the steering column for the trailer brake controller.
    The Harness contains the following wires:
    . Dark Blue: Brake Signal to Trailer Connector
    . Red/Black: Battery
    . Light Blue/White: Brake Switch
    . White: Ground

.......With the Tow Package being Dealer installed, I would for ask them about the Wiring Harness for the Brake Controller.
  7. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks like a Waffle house order.
    Covered and smothered,mmmmmmmm.