Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dealer markups-what a scam!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Pikey, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I needed to buy a new clock spring for my 05 yukon xl. the guy that installed the intermediate shaft damaged it. The part is only availble at the dealer because I have steering wheel controls. The dealer wanted $579 for the part. GM parts direct only wanted $379. I was able to get it from my dad through the GM employee parts warehouse for $329. What a crazy markup the dealers have. No wonder no one will buy parts from them unless they have to. They are pricing themselves right out of the market. I understand over head and all that stuff. But, really more then a 75% markup? That is price gouging at its best!
  2. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Absolutely crazy!!! That is why I only go if it is under warranty or the is no other option.
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I wanted to price out a replacement captains chair for my 2000, 95% of the parts are discontinued, but there were a few dealerships showing the seat adjuster still available for the deal of the day price of $819 + shipping to my local dealer..... they said that if they priced out the complete seat with the adjuster I was looking at about $3000 + $819 for the adjuster.....

I asked him if he was nuts, he said no, you should just go out to the new truck lot and buy a new one.......... 4k for 1 seat or 44k for a new truck equally equipt......

And I am sure that 90% of the driver side power captains chairs break while they are under warranty........ really? what a joke.

Then I told him how lousy auto manufacturers were because they are inflating the cost of the new trucks anyway.....
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the seat frame on my 95 broke when I had about 20000 miles on it. The dealer blocked my warranty because I had a lift kit. I weight about 115lbs soaking wet at the time. I leaned back to open the sliding window and I had an instant rocking chair! My dad got pretty upset at the dealer and talked to the president of GM trucks about it. They ended up fixing it and putting 3 transmissions in it under warranty.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Now you know why I call them 'stealerships'...
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

amen to that!!
  7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X3 what Surreal said
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

At one time I worked outside parts sales for a few different manufacturers as an Outside Account Coordinator, setting up different shops on parts accounts and pushing the various dealers/brands I represented for parts sales over other dealerships.
    More than once I commented to almost all the dealers I represented that if they werent so greedy with their price mark-up, which sometimes can be over a 100%, they might make better numbers by volume.
    In 18 months of that job I only had 1 dealership take that to heart, they were pushing parts sales that way anyways so it wasnt a big revelation to them, their now the largest volume parts dealer for their brand in the U.S. and one of the top aftermarket parts sales for performance parts in their brand.
    The common response from many dealers was "the sale of the vehicle isnt where our profit margin is made, the sale of parts is where we make our margin and annual bonus".
    Most manufacturers plan for parts sales on an average of 58% the initial price of the vehicle, on parts that cost 11% to manufacture and deliver. To maintain that 58% margin the dealerships adjust the amount of mark-up, sadly many parts the consumer has no choice but to purchase from a certified dealer due to copy right laws and issues, manufacturers lock up the market place many times if a part has any type trade secret.
  9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I absolutely REFUSE to darken the door of the local Chevy dealer. I took my '97 Express van in for an intake gasket. They quoted me 850 for the job. Then they called trying to sell me everything under the sun. I went to the dealer, told them to do the intake and nothing else. I had to get into the service writer's face about it. When I came to pick it up, they tried to charge me 1150.00.

Service writer: There were unforseen expenses.

Me: Like what?

Service Writer: We had to do an oil change.

Me: And after 32,204 intake jobs that this dealership has probably done over the years, where the coolant runs down the lifter valley and into the oil when removing the intake was unforseen because why?

Service Writer: They are all different sir. Besides, I am not a mechanic.

Me: Apparently the guy out in the shop isn't much of one either. So why are you charging me $300.00 for an oil change that was supposed to be included?

Service writer: And we had to take off one of the valve covers to get the intake off...

Me: Yes... Just like every other Chevrolet intake job... That's why the intake gasket comes with a valve cover gasket in the box. What exactly did my *850 cover again?

Service Writer: The intake gasket job.

Me. Great. Then I will go pay the nice lady at the cashier's window a total of $850 plus tax.

Service Writer: But... but... but...

A week later, my oil pressure gauge dropped to zero. When I checked it, the dip stick was clean. I filled it up and then reached underneath and tightened the oil filter up by hand... It was loose and had been blowing oil out all over the place.

No thanks... Never again.
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The only time my truck has been at the dealer was because I had no choice luckly they didnt charge to much but still price went from and estimated 500 up to 850. All they did was total front brake job and replace rear pads and one drum and had to replace rear axle seals because one had blown. Took them 1 day to do the front brakes and prep the rear but took them 3 days to find the rear axle seal!