1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dealer problems.. Overfilled oil, and body panels don't sit flush. What to do?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by beforeiforget761, Jan 21, 2013.

1. beforeiforget761

beforeiforget761 New Member

Last weekend I took my 2012 Silverado in for it's first oil change at 5,000 miles back to the Chevy dealer that I purchased it from. I also took the truck in for a wind noise problem coming from the driver's side door, and to have the factory keyless entry system installed.

The dealer kept the truck overnight. They gave me a rental car.. so that wasn't too bad.
    I dropped my truck off first thing in the morning, and the next morning I got a hold of service advisor who said that they were able to duplicate the wind noise problem (which is weird; anyone who gets in my truck can hear the noise clear as day, and it's pretty loud..), but they made an adjustment and want me to try it out and see if it fixed what I was hearing it anymore.

I go get the truck back and as I'm driving back from the dealer I smell a little bit of burning oil. I didn't think much of it; I thought maybe a little had dripped onto something and it would just burn off.

But.. I commute around 100 miles for work every day. Over the past couple days I've been smelling a very faint smell of burning oil at random times. Haven't noticed any smoke coming from anywhere, but the smell is there every now and then. I finally get a day off yesterday to check my truck out and my oil level is wayyyy over the "Safe" crosshatch area (I'd have to guess approx 2 quarts over). That can't be too good..

Not only that, the wind noise issue is still there, and it's worse than it was before. I start looking at my driver's side door and the top of the door now doesn't line up with the rear door, there's a gap and the two panels don't sit flush.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I feel like my truck has been destroyed by the dealer. What if the burning oil smell that I've been smelling is something internal in the engine due to it being 2 quarts over?? I know the dealer will probably brush it off and say it's no big deal.. but what if it does become a big deal down the line? It's only got 5,000 miles on it now.. and I've driven it approx 500 miles at it being overfilled.. and towed a trailer one day. What kind of damage can this cause?

And how can they give me my truck back after "making an adjustment" to where two body panels don't sit evenly anymore?!

Has anyone had any experience with either of these issues?
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN New Member

Not good indeed, Of course your engine size/type will vary on what might have happened to it as some can handle a little more than others.

A lot of the bigger engines should be ok with 1-2 quarts too much but I personally would not want to have it happen to me either. Make them drain it asap and make them document it. That way if you have problems later you can point back to this incident. ...now if it were indeed too much oil the oil could become sudsy (aerated) and that will reduce your lubrication. Hopefully the burning oil you smelled was just from it being on the manifold as most people that change oil and it is not their car seem to spill some oil. Normally if the overfull oil is an issue one would think the oil pressure light and gauge would reflect that so I would assume you are ok. What about your engine temp? Did it stay ok as well? I'd say most likely you are ok but like I said get it documented and if you hear ANY ticking noise at all pursue it.

...as for the door I would not have accepted it when I picked it up if it were that noticiable.
  3. beforeiforget761

I have the 5.3L. Haven't noticed anything different about the oil pressure, and the temperature has been normal. I'm hoping that's the cause of the oil smell too.. but after 5 days of 100 miles each way, do you think it would have burned off by now?

And I just noticed the door yesterday. I didn't think their "adjustment" was going to be anything like that.. lol
  4. silverhobey

silverhobey Member

hopefully you will take it back and they will look after you with
    great service and detail...I think they would want to listen especially
    if this is the second time for the door again !!!!!! good luck, keep
    us informed of happenings...Brian from Canada.
  5. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Regarding the wind noise: Is it a "whapping" kind of noise that you hear once you reach highway speed? Do you have a stone/bug deflector on the hood?

I had an issue with my 2012 where the bug deflector changed the aerodynamics of the front end and wind was pulling up on the windshield side molding when I was at highway speed. Causing a very annoying noise from the door / A-pillar area.

I just ran a bead of silicone down between the windshield and the molding to fix it.

covercraft_sun_shade4.jpg
  6. beforeiforget761

It was in the same area, and I think it's the same kind of noise you're describing.. but I don't have a bugshield or anything. The truck is 100% stock..

Now that the dealer messed with it, it's more towards the back of the door. And it's almost sounds like the window isn't completely rolled up, but it is.
  7. a.graham52

a.graham52 New Member

if the oil is indeed overfull then thats probably what your smell is. oil fuems excaping through vents and what not. had this happen to my car, get the oil drained and give it a few days and you should be back to normal.
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I feel your pain I really do, everyone praises ASE mechanics at the dealer but I swear they are the worst in my opinion. On my HHR I just bought they were supposed to do that inspection, I found at least 15 things I had to fix or replace. The most major of all was the serpentine bracket was only held on by two bolts, which had 3 threads combined holding it in replicating a lifter noise.

I sure hope they treat you better next time, this makes me mad as the dealers give GM a bad reputation. Best luck to you sir.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Maybe Evan @GM Customer Service can look into this for you. I know that if you Give your dealer poor reviews when GM sends you the questionnaire about the service at your dealer, gm customer service usually jumps all over it and get things fixed for you. I had an issue one time with my dealer and GM customer service called me and the service manager on conference call at 9 p.m. on Christmas eve. Needless to say, the dealer picked my car up from my home and brought me a rental the day after Christmas. Everything was fixed correctly after that. I have noticed a lot of shoddy work coming from techs at the dealer. Then when you take it back for the same issue you don't get any paperwork when you pick it up. I started asking for paperwork and quickly realized that my dealer was charging GM multiple times to "fix" the same thing. They put a fuel pump in and forgot to put a connection together on my wifes car. They kept it for another day and called to tell me that the tech made a mistake and forgot to connect something. I found out a month later after talking to GM customer service that they charged GM for a "Faulty fuel pump connector". Ummm, Scam!! They admitted to me that they forgot to connect it. I reported it to GM but never heard anything back on it. A note on the over filling with oil. I did not have time to change my oil before a long trip. I took it to a quick oil change place. (first and last time) they over filled it with more than a gallon of oil. I noticed it after driving 600 miles and it began leaking from the rear main seal. I drained out the extra oil and filled an entire milk jug before it got down the the crosshatch "safe" mark. The rear main leak stopped and I did not have anymore issues until the truck was totaled a few months later in an accident. it was also a 5.3 L.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member

I feel your pain... I had similar experiences... And anytime I have anyone else work on my vehicles I always doublecheck their work. I do not think over filling the oil will do much damage other than causing seals and or baskets to leak. As the others say... If you didn't already drain some out and fix it... Go back to the dealer and complain.