1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dealer Supplied Synthetic Blend Oil

Discussion in 'Ask GM Customer Service' started by Goldie, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I recently had my 07 Sierra serviced at the dealer where I bought it. I was told the dealers are now using only synthetic blend of oil for oil changes. The service tech could not tell me what the blend was other than being 5w-30 Dexos. Two (2) email later to the dealer and all I got back was a song and dance about the service they provide, etc. but no answer on what the blend of oil. I contacted the GMC Customer Assistnace Center and was unable to get an answer. I was told they would have to research it. All I want to know is what is the blend (%) of synthetic oil to regular oil. Can you help?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I suggest you will have a hard time locating that info.
    Here is the GM information, along with a list of approved 3rd party oils: http://www.gmdexos.com/home.html

I suspect the formula for each "mix" is proprietary information. Go with the full synthetic and avoid the worry.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good info Ray. I guess I know why the GM tech center switch from mobile one to FUCHS. I have been running the fuchs TITAN Supersyn D1 SAE 5W-30 for the last few oil changes.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I just switched from Castrol Edge to Royal Purple, I don't see RP on the list.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

what is funny is that less than 2 years ago GM was using royal purple at the tech center.
  6. Goldie

[MENTION=54249]RayVoy[/MENTION] -Thanks for the great information. I checked the site and was very pleased to see all the options for oil. I'm going to keep plugging away and if I get an answer will post here and any other thread anyone can suggest as being appropriate.
  7. Goldie

Well, the GMC Coustomer Assistance Center replied to me and the told me they could not find the information. I sent a message through the site RoyVoy supplied and they have not replied. And, of course, no reply from the GM Customer Service folk at this thread. I truly don't know what the big deal is about this oil.