1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dealership scam or truth? Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by repley81, Apr 11, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. repley81

repley81 New Member

I bought my 2008 GMC Sierra Denali used, I opted to get the 3 year 36000 mile warranty they were offering me. I wanted to get aftermarket exhaust installed on the truck, which would cost me 200 bucks at the local muffler shop. Well the dealership where I got the truck is trying to tell me that if I install the aftermarket exhaust, it will void my warranty, but we can do the same thing for 1000 bucks and its not going to void the warranty. So I guess my question is are they just trying to get 1000 bucks out of me, or will it really void my warranty?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Tell them to Stick it!!!!!! You can do what ever you like to YOUR truck, BUT if THEY can see that what YOU did broke something under Warr then they can deni you coverage..
  3. repley81

repley81 New Member

Yeah, that is kind of what I figured. So they were just trying to get me for 1000 bucks...
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You get the truck at the dealer THATS IT!!! You never buy ANYTHING from them Cause all you are doing is Taking them out to Dinner....
  5. steved

steved Former Member 100 Posts

Moss-Magnuson Act...
  6. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

2nd this one... they have to prove that the mod caused the damage.
  7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Standard operating procedure for dealers is to attempt to screw you on warranty.
    I think their motivation is on warranty work-the manufacturer pays them a set amount
    so they don't make as much $$ as they would make just screwing you for as many shop hrs as they want-by claiming something other -extra -than what is wrong-is wrong.And they MIGHT actually prove that their Diagnosis is correct-meaning showing a "bad part" -so if they screw up the diagnosis-the manu won't pay
    So if it isn't in warranty-and they misdiagnose it-you pay
    If it is in warranty-and they misdiagnose it-no one pays-certainly not the factory who will audit-looking for bad parts-every so often.
    Yeah-you change out 10 widgets-under warranty-manu will want to see 10 dead widgets.
    Charlie
  8. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

Depends on the warranty...many aftermarket warranties have clauses in them regarding aftermarket parts, and the installation of 1 part can void them all-together. If it's the manufacturer's warranty then it will only void the warranty on the part you removed since it is no longer there, or parts that are damaged due to the aftermarket part.

I'm a Dealership (Not GM) Service Manager
  9. repley81

repley81 New Member

The warranty is the 3 year one they try to sell you when you buy a vehicle. Either way I'm going to get the exhaust done, I just know that the dealership can kiss my behind, cause I refuse to pay them what they want to put the exhaust on my truck.
  10. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

I would read the warranty they sold you and see what exclusions it may, or may not have, worst case you can usually cancel the warranty and get a refund. Very few extended warranties I've seen are really a good deal. :)