Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Debadging and rebadging

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Cheez, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

My truck is currently fully debadged of all logos. I still currently have the door molding on there though. It's a 2004 Silverado, so it's getting up there in years. My question is, has anyone taken those off this late? If so, how bad was it underneath? I expect some buffing work to need to be done to get the glue off and sun lines back in order. What I don't want is to pull them off, find that I can't even remotely blend the paint back by buffing/wax and not have a backup. My molding is in fairly poor shape so I doubt it'll go back on after taking it off. Are there any other options as far as molding goes?

2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The big factor is where do you live. If in the southwest you'll have alot more fading then in the northeast. The only way to find out how much is to pull the molding off.

3. SWAT13

SWAT13 Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

ur ok, since ur truck is white. easy to buff out....

4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The easiest way to remove them with the least amount of damage is by using 20 lb fishing line. Get some good leather gloves and slowly pull the line under the moulding. You will have a lot of cleaning to due after. WD40 will help loosen the adhesive and real elbow grease. I think it will look really nice without the moulding!! GOOD LUCK!!

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you do move forward with remove the Trim, to add to what has been mentioned above and that is, once all of the trim has been removed, the safest and quickest way to remove the left-over Adhesive, is to use a 3M Eraser Wheel, your Fingers and hands will Thank You,

3M Eraser Wheel

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks guys! I've taken molding off before, I was just worried about the amount of fading underneath...

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

OK....Got ya, I removed my door trim just a few yrs back, and had no issues with the paint underneath the trim being faded, I would say that you shouldn't have any issues either with fading.

8. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

Good deal! I was just scared of ripping them off and it be even worse with them off. They are probably the thing that shows the years to most on my truck (besides the odometer.)

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

I should have mentioned, that my truck is 5 yrs older than yours, and I just removed the trim around 3 yrs ago and them both being White, that's why I feel that you should be OK, with removing the trim.

10. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

That helps ease the jitters a lot now!

I put together a quick photoshop to see what I thought. I think I'm going to like it!