Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Debadging left behind ghost lettering ~ 2011 Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by D4jsmit, Nov 28, 2011.

1. D4jsmit

D4jsmit New Member

I have a new 2011 Silverado- bought it in September. I debadged the tailgate- used fishing line to remove the "SILVERADO" and the "LT" lettering. Goof-off & paper towels did a decent job getting the adhesive off. However, I'm left with outlines of the letters. The more "straight on" you look at the tailgate, (such as when you're walking straight towards the tail from a distance) the more noticeable it is.

Can someone suggest a good way to remove this? Do I just need to use rubbing compound or something like that? For others who have debadged, do you see the same on your vehicle?

Thanks
    truck01.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  2. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

Should have used bug & tar remover and not paper towels cause the stuff you used has caused paint to blemish or scratch and even fade worse off clear coat damage. Try rubbing compound and finishing wax to fix it but use a soft microfiber cloth not paper towels. Worse case senario is take it to a body shop and have them wet sand and buff it out
  3. D4jsmit

D4jsmit New Member

micro-scratches

Hi- thanks for the reply. It still elaves the question open, though- why is the lettering still visible? If the paper towel had scratched the clear coat, I'd expect to see at least some scratching where the adhesive came off. The spaces under the letters look perfect, though. Any thoughts? Is this just sun fading, and it'll even out over time?
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

From that picture, it looks like there is some damage to the paint where the letters were - just not as bad as the rest because the adhesive was there to protect the paint from most of it. Like McMahan said, that is paint damage that will need to be fixed. Try some light rubbing compound (some are too abrasive), polishing compound, and then a good buffing. If that doesn't fix it, you will have to have that spot wetsanded and buffed to bring it back.

Whatever you do, do NOT leave it to even out over time. That WILL allow the letters to permanently fade differently from the paint. And for future reference, the only thing paper towel is good for cleaning on a vehicle is glass. For your paint a microfiber cloth is always the right choice.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what pmf608 said.
  6. D4jsmit

D4jsmit New Member

Thanks all. I will have a go at it this weekend with some compound and microfiber towels and post the results here.
  7. D4jsmit

D4jsmit New Member

scratches gone...

Good news- I managed to take out the scratches using Meguiars ScratchX. Not too bad- pictures attached (before and after)

Thanks for the good advice. No more paper towels for me. :)

Truck 1-Before.jpg Truck 2-After.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That looks great! Nice and shiny
  9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

did the same to mine just not as bad give it a good buff and wax. ive kinda just learned to live with it but mainly cuz the weather in tuscaloosa never lets my truck be clean
  10. audible

audible Member

Looks good. I just took off the "Z71 4x4" off the sides. Had same issue. Used goof-off for the glue, then Mothers Cleaner/Wax= Like new.