debadging

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sheep, May 9, 2008.

1. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

ever since i saw my buddies 97 silverado debadged iv wanted to do it to my truck, i think i have everything i need, but im looking for best ways to get the trim peices off the sides and the big chevy sign on the tail gate off. and i have a pinstrip sticker that runs along the bottom of the windows on the sides, since its pretty old i hadnt tried to take it off with a razor blade, should i just work at it little by little till i get the whole thing off with the razor blade?

thanks for the help!

2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

as for the badging and trim just heat them up with a hair dryer or a heat gun and run floss or fishing line behind it and kind of saw it off with the fishing line or floss but take your time... than with the left over glue on the truck just use goo gone or somehting to get it off.... as for the pinstripe I would not use a razorblade as it is most likely going to scratch the paint.... i would just use your fingernails or something and again heating it up may help too

3. konscience7

konscience7 New Member

get a pinstripe remover to get the adhevsive off. it's a tan rubber wheel that attaches to a screwgun. alot easier and faster than your fingernail.

afterwards spray some 3M adhvesive cleaner (red/white bottle) on it and wipe off.

lastly, you might what to wax where the molding was to make it look uniform.

4. Nosup4u

Nosup4u Rockstar ROTM Winner

clay bar works best or goo gone

5. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

ok sweet, will do. once the truck is finished ill post up some pics. it would take alot of pics if i took them with every thing i changed. but i will let ya know how everything turns out

6. Robinson76

Robinson76 Member

Definitely post some pics for us when you get done...
    But you have to make sure you take your time on this kind of stuff or you can really scratch your paint

but im sure you'll be fine:glasses:

7. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

i have heard they make some platic razor blades that make this stuff really easy, doesn anyone know where i can pick some up?

8. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I did a search on Oreilly's website, and they have a couple different kinds of plastic razor blades, so I'm sure most auto parts stores will carry them or at least be able to order them for you.

9. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

sweet thanks i didnt think about that

just an updated, decided to steal one of the plastic chizl things from work to see if that might work out, it does a pretty good job, still takes a little while but its getting there, havent had time to work on it the past 2 or 3 days been to tired or had other stuff going hoping to just jump on it one of these nights and finish the hole truck :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  10. USAFZ71

USAFZ71 New Member

I tried that goo gone stuff and it didn't really work for me.