1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Decision time, who can help?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Necred, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Necred

Necred Member

I have a 00 Z71 5.3, when occasional towing, I have bad sagging & even with 5-6k load I can feel it., It keeps my speeds low. I have came across a xclean one owner 03 2500 6.0 95k (3.7 or 4.1rear) I am considering buying & selling my 00. I read about "reduce engine power" problems & mpg issues. What are the pros & cons of either truck, thanx
  2. workman482

workman482 New Member

I have a 2003 2500HD 4x4 with the 6.0, manual tranny, and 4.10 gears. It pulls like a mule. I have no problems with pulling or loss of power. The worst MPG I've had was 10.8 and the best was 11.6 so you do take a hit in the fuel economy dept. That is due to no active fuel management.
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would check the fuel pressures. 53 psi min engine running. next would be a restricted exhaust.

I tow my 4300 lb boat with no problems 2000 sil LT 4WD 5.3L
  4. Necred

Necred Member

Well, I bought the 03 2500, it has 90k miles,,....I will check 00 psi & exhaust,, it has 153k miles, it was also one owner never been in 4wd so it hasn't been abused...I can tell by the power this 03 is gonna burn much more than 5.3....i will keep them both for couple months see which one id rather drive, neither would be a daily driver.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the 2500 will require 3 or more MPG. with the 2000 SIL 1500 I get 18-19 MPG . more in the warm weather . I have 145K now on it .
  6. Necred

Necred Member

Would it be worth it to find someone to swap my 4.1 gears with 3.7, not just for gas, but I believe it will be a more comfortable cruise at lower rpms. and still pull 6k which is my limit on occasions ..? My 00 Is pretty much loaded but this 03 has couple other amenities I could enjoy... such as Steering wheel radio control & lumbar. Is it possible or beneficial to deactivate the AFM?
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013