1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Deep up the creek & paddle is busted S.O.S ~ help 2000 GMC Sonoma

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by son o ma, Oct 26, 2013.

1. son o ma

son o ma New Member

Hello to all who are receiving this distress call and many thanks in advance for any suggestions, Im Steve and Im bummed.
    2000 sonoma, 4.3, auto, 2wd, 298000k.
    truck died while driving, by the time the wrecker arrived battery was dead, towed home and recharged battery and it started up perfectly as usual. Installed new battery as the old one was, well, old.
    Will not start.
    No security issues showing, has spark at plugs, fuel pump pressure shows 65 lbs and within range for holding pressure time.
    Had a mechanic take a look and without proper test equip did what he could, propane in pcv engine fires but will not run, his conclusion was ecm not supplying ground and it should be checked, rolled the die and got a new unit flashed and installed, relearned the fuel key etc and sure enough... no start.
    Did have ignition cylinder issue a while back so installed a new cylinder and key, redid the relearn and still no start.
    Questions

1) Ive tried to relearn the fuel key again but the security light goes off and stays off, cannot find a reference for this anywhere, does it mean the key is learned?

2) temperature sensor?

Im hoping to get a code reader tomorrow and check that.
    Thanks!
  2. zippstripp

zippstripp New Member

Welcome from the lower 48. You say you have spark but do you have injector pulse?(No pulse =no fuel to cylinders). Could be Coolant temp. sensor, have had that sting me before. About the theft lite. Generaly yes if the lite is out it has learned the code. Does the lite come on when key is first turned to run position then go out? If so it's fine. They make a pulse tester called a noid lite that plugs into injector harness,crank engine and it should flash. Hope this helps.
  3. son o ma

son o ma New Member

Hi and thanks Zipp, not sure on the injector pulse think he only had a normal 12v test lamp, will add that to Mondays shopping list.
    Key at run position, security light on for a few seconds then off, I thought that was correct but no info found searching.
    Ill post back tomorrow after the code reader trial, much appreciated!
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

If it runs with a little short of propane, your problem is fuel.

If you have pressure, the pump, and the pump electrical circuits, is good. Not familiar with the 2000 version of that engine, but I did have a 1996. That 4.3 had a wet throttle body (injectors inside the throttle body venturi). Try cleaning the complete throttle body.
  5. son o ma

son o ma New Member

Thanks Ray, this has the spider style injectors, never had any hard starts,rough idle or misses so its seems more like the injectors are not getting a ground signal, several causes .. keypass, ecm failure, temperature sensor or oil sensor (oil pressure is good at crank so think thats out)
    off to rental store soon and hope to get a code to search gaak! I wanna donkey

- - - Updated - - -

no codes:gasp:back to digging then
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Have you checked the injection spyder itself? They were the source of many no start problems on that particular engine over the years. Pretty common replacement part.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

It was the injector I was thinking about as well, but you could be right about the injector pulse electrics.

When I started reading your 1st post, I was thinking about the oil pressure sensor, I guess the engine starting with propane part detoured me. I had an Envoy with the I6 and the pressure sensors would fail on them. Good pressure, but the sensor was bad. The engine would stall, but it always restarted.
  8. son o ma

son o ma New Member

tbplus and ray my apologies for late response no email was received for your posts, I just stopped in to update the issue as Im certain many don't bother.
    Is a pretty good story lol, my insurance has road side provided so set up for a tow to my mechanic, phone rings its my insurance oh so sorry we can't cover all the tow it will be another $150 !!! cancelled that and got my friend to come out from town with his flat deck, mechanic tells me it now running with new rotor,cap and plugs, running like a bag of crap but running, ecm has to be house broken etc, Ill update again with cost when I get it back. Thanks again for your replies (long live the chev lol)
  9. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Glad they got it figured out. Welcome aboard