Deepwater Horizon

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Mean_Green_95, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Has anyone been keeping up with this tragedy?

If not, heres the short.

An oil rig close to the coast of Louisiana had an abrupt explosion. 11 men were lost during/after the explosion. There bodies have not been found and they are presumed dead. The secondary problem is that theres an oil leak. The blowback preventer valves are not operating and are not communicating with the control board. They have sent down robots to try and operate the valve manually but have been unsuccessful. Another problem is that who ever designed the platform did not put a valve on the gulf floor, like almost all other rigs, so the flow of oil cannot be shut off there either. It was originally thought that there was only one leak, letting out 40,000 barrels of oil a day, but it it being reported that the original estimate was off by 5 times the amount. It is leaking out roughly 200,000 barrels of oil a day. The only somewhat plausible solution is to drill another rig next to the original to relieve the pressure off of the original.

This is the industry I'm planning on going into, so its really important to me.

What is yall's take on this? Any new info is always appreciated.

2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

That is so sad. I hear the oil is gonna hit land soon. Its been windy around here too. Cell tower work is hot,fiber optic splicing,

3. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

It's 200,000 gallons a day...not 200,000 barrels. 42 gallons in a barrel...a little difference. Sounds like you're going to be an engineer. After 17 years in the oil patch they are the ones that could get things that mucked up.

4. Mean_Green_95

o, my mistake. I thought 200000 barrels was a little bit excessive. But I'm looking to get into an operating position. I looked into the engineering side of things and didn't like it too much.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

200,000 gallons or 200,000 barrels really doesnt matter the eco system in that area will be severely damaged either way and theres no easy way to protect it from coming or to repair it afterwards. I did clean-up after the Exon-Valdez, the place looked like a war zone, the damage was complete and devastating.

6. Mean_Green_95

I believe you. Crude oil is nothing to mess with. Its already reaching Louisiana's shores.

7. pmartin816

pmartin816 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I've been keeping up with it some and it does sound like its quite the tragedy. Last I heard they still didnt have a way to keep more oil from flowing out of the pipe. I have heard it might end up being worse than the Exon-Valdez accident though.

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sadly people in charge seem to be working harder at pointing fingers than at stopping damage.
    In the end the local residents will pay the most with the American public picking up the tab behind them.
    Maybe it's time to start snatching up a few of the people running things and get some guarantees on cleaning things up and restoring the area. Dont rely on making the company the guarantor put the responsability on the CEO and upper echelon of the company that made the decisions, they knew they had safety issues weeks ago and continued operating.
    Wherever I've worked the supervisors have always talked the talk about safety, but underneath it all I've allways been convinced that a high enough dollar amount would trump safety every time.

9. Mean_Green_95

Tim, you're exactly right. Why wasn't there a shut off valve at the gulf floor? B/c they wanted to save money. Its sad that an enormous company like BP can't be responsible and take action to prevent, or in this instance, rectify the situation to the best of their ability.