Defective Parking brake

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by BIGREDDADDY53, Jan 22, 2016.

1. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

For a few years I think 2001-2005 the made the horseshoe brake that is held together by one screw and retainer clip. They have come out with a fix that means the removal of the rear end. Here is a copy of the rockauto part that means you have to take the splines out.

ACDELCO 89026798 GM Original Equipment Info
    Fits 7,200 lb Vacuum Brakes; 8.625 R/GR; 2nd Design; TWO CLIP POINTS FOR PARK BRAKE SHOE FOR 1ST DESIGN SEE 89026786
    Or 4WD; 7,200 lb Hydraulic Brakes; 8.625 R/GR; 2nd Design; TWO CLIP POINTS FOR PARK BRAKE SHOE.

I was just thinking how much this would cost at GM to get done, because this is way beyond my skill level.

Attached Files:

2. BillD64

BillD64 Rockstar

It isn't as hard as it might look. They have to pull the rear cover, release the axles by removing a couple of retaining clips and then pull the axles out. That allows them to get into the backing plate and where this part is mounted. I am not sure what this does exactly. Does it just add a 2nd screw in clip?

Bill

3. BIGREDDADDY53

Yes and with just one screw holding the shoe, it seems to come apart. I wish I had another option. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. Thanks Eric

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. Paladin

Paladin Active Member 2 Years 100 Posts

My 00 has the one screw setup. I replaced both shoes about 3 years ago and have not had any issues.

5. BIGREDDADDY53

Glad it worked for you, but this was a GM recall if you were still under warranty. Having been a GM dealership salesmen for 10 years and I had more guys coming into shop to get this done than you shake a stick at............Eric

6. BIGREDDADDY53

Well I have a shop that is going to do it. I have to replace the brake backing plate (the cast one that the horse shoe attaches to) and at the same time New diff cover with new bolts and new seals and bearings as well. I was going to use Royal purple in the rear end then do the front and transfer case myself. I post how it turned out..Than's Eric

7. BIGREDDADDY53

Getting the 2nd Gen Brake Backing Plate with two points to lock down that horseshoe brake pad. I am getting new diff cover, new fluid and conditioner, Royal purple, new bolts for the cover ($68 for 10 bolts) and if the gears are in good shape the. I am also doing the back brakes with Power Stop Z36 kit then it's of to the shop for the parking brake fix at the end of the month, depending on the parts being delivered. Let you know how it works out. Thank's Eric

8. BIGREDDADDY53

Bill:
    Yes and with just one screw holding the shoe, it seems to come apart. This part has two and the Brake horseshoe is a little different and sit's in different as well and is backed by GM as the replacement/Fix Part but there are different shoes for the second gen parts. I have been told that I don't need new Bearings, just seals. Any input on this? would be grateful, Thank's Eric

9. BillD64

BillD64 Rockstar

There is a procedure to replace the outer seal after the axle shaft is reinserted to the housing. Don't know for sure whether or not the seal has to be replaced every time the axle shaft is removed. Which axle do you have? There are basically three, one for the Stability Control system, one without the stability control system and a 9.5 inch axle, also a LSD version thrown in as well. I have the 8.6 in axle that goes with the Stability Control system (RPO JL4). Stability control was a rare option in the 2001-2006 Tahoes. The S/M basically shows pulling the rear diff cover, removing a couple of C Clips and then using a slide hammer to pull the axle out of the diff housing. The procedure for the other axles is a little more involved.

Bill

10. BIGREDDADDY53

Hi Bill: I have the 8.625 rear end with the G80 locker as well as the Z55 option, pain in the ass, Hasn't worked since I got rear ended and insurance would not pay. No JL4 on my Truck. I am just hopping that I don't have to replace the bearings. Eric