Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Definition of a Boat

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, Jul 27, 2012.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Boat: A hole in the water you pour money into.

Havent used my boat much in the last 2 years because of work but this summer I'm planning on using it a lot, if I can afford it, it seems like every time I go out she develops a new issue.

Since it was a warm winter we started our boating season in late March this year.
    First time out the mooring covers started falling apart and tearing, ok, this should be expected after 10 years, theyve been outside all the time. A local boat upholstery shop is making a new set for $270, not cheap but still a good price for the quality work this shop turns out, the full boat cover doesnt do as good a job keeping debris out as I'd like, especially since I park under an oak tree.

Next time out a bad cooling impellor, $305 later the impellor, out drive lube, and engine oil are changed.

3 days later a flat trailer tire, inspection revealed a nail in the tire and not enough tread left to repair it, the other tire was a little better but why take chances, $145 later 2 new tires.

Registration is every 2 years and you guessed it this is my year so $53 later were legal again.

3 days later its time for the annual boat insurance payment, another $225 and were insured for the year.

A week later while tied at the dock the boat starts drifting away when it should be snugged up against the fenders, quick work with a local boats hook and we retrieve it and find out all our dock lines are falling apart. So much for synthetic lines that arent supposed to rot or mildew, and 2 of my "floating" fenders are now trash at the bottom of the lake. Never thought plastic fenders would sink but I watched them go down like the Titanic. $170 later new dock lines, fenders, ski ropes, and anchor ropes. Should be good for another 10 years, Maybe?

A few days later the trailer bunks start making loud noises during loading and off-loading, yep the wood is rotted. A trip to Home Depot for supplies, $130 in wood, carpet, and assorted other items, a new set of bunks is manufactured, drop the boat in the water, break out the battery powered drills and the wife and I have a new set of bunks on the trailer in less than 40 minutes, just in time to take an afternoon ride/swim on the lake to cool down.

And now the last trip to the lake the auto bilge pump kicks on, weird theres no real waves on the lake, oh shoot did I forget to put the drain plug in? A quick check over the transom shows thats not the problem. Lift the rear deck and see the engine has a new drain point, yep 1 freeze plug on each side of the block has popped out and is pumping water into the bilge, luckily the engine wasnt hot, I'm not sure how much heat the plastic bilge pump could withstand. Another trip to the shop since I dont have the time to fix the boat myself and it looks like we'll be about $450 lighter in the wallet, probably a good time to replace the water pump while were at it. I passed on the recommended tune-up since we have less that 40 hours on the engine.

So $1700+ into the boating season and we still have until late September or early October depending on the weather, I dont know if I'll be able to afford the summer.

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

ouch, just ouch.

Alex

3. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I have heard the 2 best days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it lol. I know having a boat is great at times, I just rather have friends that have boats than me buying one.

4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That seems steep on the cooling impeller we change ours every two years and it cost us 15 dollars. Thats a 15 minute job. But your correct on the money hole. Just blew the motor in our 05 gtx limited that's gunna cost us 1700 for new supercharger and rebuild kit

5. RFoster130

RFoster130 Member

Bring
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

They can be pretty expensive for something you only use a couple times a year. Ive only put about 15 hours on mine total the last 4 summers. Luckily though, i haven't had to spend anything besides mods and winterizing it every year.

6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The def of yacht- see also @ SurrealOne's truck

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Bankruptcy
    On
    A
    Trailer

8. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It's weird I grew up on the water with plenty of boat from seafood to 150 foot Lurserren, maybe it's cause we do almost all the work ourselves but we are never spending a lot of money on our boats, except gas of course but that's part of it. We also winterized and change oil in every boat every winter. I guess we've been pretty lucky. Except the gtx blewup this week.

9. tbplus10

They had to drop the lower outdrive, remove a lube pump, and reclock the drive gears (Volvo Penta) took about 2 hours which is what it took me last time, the impeller on Volvo Penta's is buried in the outdrive. Plus I had them do a lube change on the engine, outdrive, power steering, and hydraulic trim system.
    Normally I do all my own work but this summer since I'm working 12-14hr days 6 days a week if I want any time on the boat I'm having to farm out repairs so my 1 day off a week I can relax.

10. tbplus10

Yea, this isnt my first boat so you think I would've learned but the dang things are like crack I keep going back for more.

When I lived in Virginia Beach I had a WellCraft Portofino 320 with twin 454's, talk about sucking up some money those bastards could do it, just running the engines to warm up the systems and keep everything lubed and checked used about 4gls of fuel, since the boat was 32' I couldnt pull it out of the water to refuel, I was normally at the mercy of the local marina unless I wanted to lug 5 gallon cans down the dock to the boat, that sucker took 175 gls of fuel.
    My wife still thinks the best thing that ever happened was getting orders to Texas, since we knew that boat wouldnt work well on the lakes out here we sold it.
    We had our own dock in the back so I made a trolley system from the garrage down to the end of the dock, I could run 10 cans of fuel down at a time.