Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Denali HD grille conversion on an NNBS 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by AnimalYates, Nov 12, 2012.

1. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I am looking at getting a new grille to replace the crappy black plastic and the cheap insert I have on it. I love the look of the Denali HD grilles on the 2011+ 2500HD's. I have seen online that a few guys have pulled off this conversion and are running an HD grille on their 1500.. except this has only been on the Silverado's I have yet to see someone to a swap with the Denali HD grille.

What is required to do this, anyone know?? I'm betting it isn't a direct fit. Would I need the HD hood, or maybe relocating the front bumper?

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to set my truck apart from the rest.

2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The difference between the HD and the 1500 there is that the HD has a 2" body lift from the factory. The bumper mounts the same though, and they just use a taller plastic cap on the top of the HD bumper to accomodate the gap. I'm not 100% sure on the GMC, but I believe the grille goes almost all the way down the middle of that cap, which would make it too tall to fit a 1500 without a 2" body lift and the HD bumper cap to go with it. If it happens to be the same height as the 1500 grille though, it would be a really simple swap.

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

best bet might be to go to a dealer and ask to look at one and see what differences you can see.

Alex

4. AnimalYates

Alex : that's a good idea. Might go do that this weekend if I'm looking for some time to kill.

pmf608: My truck has a 2.5" leveling kit, which would put the front ride height around the same as a stock 2500HD. So maybe this would help.. and upon doing some research I think you're right about the bumper cap. I believe the 2500HD and 1500 have different caps. So I'm unsure about that. Just to clarify, you ARE talking about the part I have circled in the pic blow, right?

Also, does anyone know if the grille will align with the 1500 hood..? Or would I have to go with the 2500HD hood too? Thanks for the help.

bumper.jpg

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yep, that's the part I was talking about. Your overall height should be close, but the HDs are lifted 2" above the frame to clear the top of the Allison transmission, so they made the cap taller to cover that gap. I'm not 100% sure what the differences in bumper brackets, etc. are to make everything fit but as far as I know, that cap would be the main point of concern on yours. The hood should line up.

6. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Is the 2" leveling kit the same thing as a 2" body lift? I already put shocks with the 2" added on and a 2" suspension lift on the back. So would need a 2" body lift to be able to install bumper cap? How about the rear bumper cap? Different also?

7. AnimalYates

Well guys, this just seems like too much of a pain for me to do. I don't want to risk buying all the parts and something still not being right. I found a 1500 Denali replacement grille on ebay for $245 so I'm just going to go with that. It's cheaper, I know it will fit, and I will be able to replace it myself.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will post a pics of the new grille (and possibly headlights) in my trucks thread after it is all finished.

8. Sierraowner5.3

pics when you get it done!

Alex

9. AnimalYates

But of course. Give me a week or so.

10. Sierraowner5.3

what are you planning on doing with the old grill btw?

might be interested in that.

Alex