1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Denali HD grille conversion on an NNBS 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by AnimalYates, Nov 12, 2012.

1. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Probably try to get rid of it on craigslist. And I wouldn't wanna sell it to you man.. it's garbage. It's made specifically for 07+ Sierra's and it doesn't even freaking fit. I had to rig mouting brackets myself just so the top wouldn't bow. You'd be better off just buying a higher quality insert or authentic replacement grille. Trust me man.

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i may still want it, what i have in mind it being a rough fit isnt much of an issue.

Alex

3. AnimalYates

What do you have in mind man?

4. user-0021

user-0021 New Member

It is possible to make the sierra 2500hd grill work on a 1500. There are a few different options to make it work depending on what look you want and how much you want to spend. I just completed the 2012 denali hd front clip on my 2007 vortec max.

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics are before, after just the grille installed with stock bumper, then full conversion. The 1500 vs 2500hd frame is 1.5" difference. I used a zone 1.5" bodylift to make up the difference. 2012 gmc sierra hd denali grille, 2012 hd upper bumper cap, 2012 denali hd bumper assembly. I still need to make some adjustments to get the gap from the upper cap to the bumper bar perfect. The hood is still the stock 1500 hood. Everything is direct bolt in with only minor adjustments if you use the stock bumper vs the hd denali bumper. you can also do the conversion without the bodylift and by modifying the bracing to the stock upper bumper cap and cutting the tabs on the bottom of the hd grille. This will work with the regular hd grille or the denali hd grille.

Hope this helps, I just came across this post and have detailed posts on other forums about this topic. But I wanted to share this with you because It can be done and there are 1-2 dozen trucks doing this that I know of.

5. AnimalYates

[MENTION=58607]user-0021[/MENTION]

Thank you very much for the information! This conversion looks absolutely amazing on your truck! After coming across some of the threads you are likely discussing, I have decided not to go with the Denali HD conversion.. just seems too expensive for me at the moment as it's going to cost at least over a grand. I however greatly appreciate your input and I hope your post helps somebody down the road who is looking at doing this same thing. Once again, sweet truck!

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

A Denali grill on a Silverado would look stupid and completely out of place.

Besides, who would want to get rid of the iconic Bowtie logo in favor of GMC?

7. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

A leveling kit is usually only applied to the front suspension and is pretty much spring spacers (or some sort of torsion bar adjustment/hardware) and maybe shock bracket extensions. It's like a small suspension lift. It does not change the relationship between the grill and bumpers. Take note though, that I have only had a leveling kit described to me. I have never researched them not being interested. I much prefer the old school California Rake look, and don't want my truck level.

A body lift changes the distance between the body and frame.

Only the body gets raised further from the ground. Everything attached to the frame, like engine, transmission, bumpers, and tires remain at factory height. You don't get any extra ground clearance from a body lift, but you do get a little more vertical room for bigger tires, and heavier duty transmission, and engine.

A suspension lift changes the relationship between the frame and suspension. Virtually everything except the tires and suspension is raised further off the ground, but it does not change the distance between the body and bumpers.

In the installation discussed above, the Denali front bumper is attached to the frame, which is still at factory height, while the body has been lifted 2" above them, thus the need for a taller bumper cap.

I think the rear bumper on a Denali is also attached to the frame but there may not be a bumper cap to worry about back there. I've never looked at a Denali in that much detail. Another item I am not interested in. They're too pretty. too tarted up for me. On my '99 Suburban, there is simply a vinyl flap between the bumper and the barn doors. On most pickup trucks there ain't nuthin there at all.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  8. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I understand now. Thanks!

9. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

I want to do this so bad.

10. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

I may do this sooner than expected. Just to clarify, the only actual parts I will need is a 1.5" body lift (on its way now), 2500hd grill and bumper cap.