dent :( Dry ice??

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by hildy19, Apr 30, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. hildy19

hildy19 New Member 100 Posts

so i have a dent on the front driver side fender right above the wheel well. i was reading on here something about dry ice? using this to get the dent out. Can anybody explain how to do this for me??? Please i hate seeing it there and don't want to spend a lot of money
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Apparently the method is to touch the dry ice to the center of the dent then remove it. wait a while and repeat.

For the same money use to buy dry ice, you could get a can of dust off and use that with a hair dryer to remove a dent, and still have the can of dust off for other uses. Once the dry ice is gone, it's gone.

The dry ice may be better suited to smaller dents though.

I found this how to that may help you:
    http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-dents-quickly-and-cheaply
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I use the dust off method now a days because it's easier to get.
    Either method works the same, hot and cold extremes pop the metal out and cause shrinking.
  4. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

By the way, with the can of duster, make sure you hold the can upside down. Don't get parts of your body in the way.

Keep in mind...this only works on certain types of dents. I've tried both methods a few times and have only been minimally successful.

Good luck if you give it a go!

Oh, and check youtube...there are a few videos up there that show you the process.
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Dry ice is suited for dents around the same size as hail damage.. If it is on a crease you will need to straighten the crease first then you can straighten the other sheetmetal.
  6. hildy19

ugh! people are so stupid! looked at my door under my driver handle where there is now another dent! Some stupid kid must have let his door fly at school Hopefully i can fix this
  7. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member 100 Posts

Rule #1 park away from everyone..
  8. 99ChevyZ71

99ChevyZ71 New Member

x2 its not that big of a deal to walk a little :lol:
  9. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I did that on Black Friday last year. Parked way out in the boonies with several spots open on both sides of me. I came out from the store and found a piece of someone's chrome striping stuck to the side of my truck. I looked closer and found they must have pulled in fast and dented both doors on the passenger side....:grrrrrr:

Still haven't gotten it fixed yet.
  10. hildy19

Ya i think ill park at the far end from now on