Determining axles in my 1990 Chevrolet 1500 ?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by JTWard, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Sirwriter

Sirwriter New Member

This is a revolting development. Sounds to me like you're right back where you didn't want to be...pull an axle and count the splines. For what it's worth, I sent an email to LMC and they are adamant. If it is a stock 10 bolt, and it's a 1990, they say it is a 30 spline. I respect Randy's Ring and Pinion, but for years I have used LMC for stock part numbers as well as the info to buy stuff. (They have great stuff, they're just too high). I guess the only way to know for sure is to pull one....

Sirwriter

2. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I believe it IS a 30 spline axle differential, but I'm not sure of which "Traction device" (as Randy's ring & Pinion) refers to them The reviews are much help, but I'm leaning to a 30 spline, I did as you suggested and went through my latest LMC catalog and they are pretty clear if it's a 1990 1/2 ton and is a 10 bolt rear, then it's a 30 spline. So I think my only last obstacle is what kind of posi unit I buy. Please let me know of your experiences, but as I said it looks both financially and physically to be the Yukon Dura-grip is the best differential for the money. I can't afford a $900.00 Eaton unit ?

3. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

According to LMC 1988 came with a 28 or 30 spline. 89-98 came with 30 spline only. Those are only for 10 bolts.

- - - Updated - - -

For the traction devices The Dura Grip is the best overall and the Auburn is the worst according to their chart.

4. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

That was my impression I got as well. I'm going with the 30 spline and I'm pretty sure it will be right. I'll get new bearing and seals pressed on the axles while I have them out as well. No sense doing the same job twice. Thank you !

5. 95C1500

95C1500 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Worst thing that can happen is you send it back and get the right part