1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

dex cool

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by pmarc, Oct 26, 2008.

1. pmarc

pmarc New Member

My 2003 Silverado is bone dry in antifreeze overfill. As the residual a-freeze in bottom is red, I'll get a tub of Dex Cool red (or orange?)... except I see alot of Dex Cool chatter on the web. Am I doing the right thing?

Thanx.
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

First thing I did was flush that crap out of my truck...

Whatever you do, do NOT mix any of the green stuff with the red stuff. It will turn into gel and plug up EVERYTHING!

I pulled my upper radiator line, drained the radiator and ran the truck at idle for about 45 minutes with the garden hose in the radiator. When the water coming out of the top hose comes out looking clean enough to drink, go another 15 minutes and then empty the radiator, re-connect the top hose and fill it up with regular anti-freeze.

YOU MUST HAVE EVERY LAST BIT OF THE RED STUFF OUT BEFORE YOU ADD THE GREEN STUFF OR YOU WILL PUT THE SCREWS TO YOUR COOLING SYSTEM!!!
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen "chatter" before about Dex-cool but have had no problems with it. Most auto parts stores carry the Dex-cool equivalent made by Prestone and other brands if you just need to replenish your reservoir.
  4. pmarc

pmarc New Member

plug

Where's the radiator plug, exactly, thanx.