1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Diablo vs. EFILive or Diablo InTune vs. Trinity

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Macattac3572, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Macattac3572

Macattac3572 Member

I know this is beating a dead horse. I have been researching the Diablo tuner, both the Predator and Trinity. I was leaning more towards the Trinity, however, a friend of mine suggested the EFILive. I have read information on the EFILive and found that it does pretty much the same thing and has the autocal. Which would one recommend, the Trinity or the EFILive.

Now with the InTune which would be the best way to go, the Predator, InTune, or the Trinity. I like the fact that that you can leave the Trinity plugged in and see what is going on.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Personally I think that among the DiabloSport offerings the InTune is the way to go if you have a 2007 or later NNBS truck. (There's no InTune support for older GM's, yet...) My reasoning is simple: leaving a unit plugged in is a prime way to get the unit stolen. It looks like a GPS unit. People steal GPS units. It's just that simple, to me. Perhaps my perspective is what it is because I'm rural 2ish days per week and in a metro area 5ish days per week. However, I bet if you do some digging you'll find GPS units are regularly stolen in rural areas too -- just not as often as in metros because there are fewer of them.

That's the precise reason I bought a Predator over a Trinity. In fact, I'd only have considered a Trinity if I could have purchased an A-pillar replacement and done a permanent mount much like BullyDog offers with this: http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=227. Permanent mounts just don't attract as much attention as window mounts or loose GPS-looking units. But, alas, DiabloSport does not offer such a beast...

Surreal
  3. Thomas Madjar

Thomas Madjar New Member

I just picked up a Predator off of Craigslist two weeks ago for $200. So far it seems to have the best options versus a Hypertech programmer. I just got a custom tune from 06MonteSS, and the difference in performance is clearly visible in daily driving. Not sure about gas savings yet, but I did not buy a programmer to save gas if you know what I mean. If you have the extra $$$, get the Trinity. I have seen a few on Craigslist as well for around $500.
  4. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

diablo does not offer the a-pillar itself, but they do offer a pod mount for the Trinity... so if you had that a-pillar you linked to, you could get the pod mount from diablo for the trinity and you'd be good to go...

and yeah, I don't leave my trinity in my car all the time either... the only time I have it in the car is when I'm actually flashing a tune or doing data logging.. other than that, I take it out of the car and it's inside the house, or in my pocket if I'm out and about...

Macatta3572 - fyi the efilive autocal does not come with any tunes on it... that is for getting a custom tune done by an efilive custom tuner and for data logging, that's it...

the Trinity offers SO much more... full data logging, tcm/tranny support, comes with preset tunes you can use, you can also get full custom tuning done for it by a diablosport CMR custom tuner like myself, scan/clear trouble codes, drag-tree/performance monitor, live data monitoring, and will have a future update that will allow you to tune more than one vehicle at a time with it...

if you're interested in the Trinity (or the inTune), let me know.. I offer package deals on the programmers plus my custom tuning, so you'd save some $$.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. Macattac3572

Macattac3572 Member

Looks like the Diablo is the way to go all around. I have been looking on craigslist and found a Trinity for sale here on base, with a pod mount for what I think is a reasonable price.

06MonteSS - Do you all by chance give Military discounts, also what would your shipping cost be to AK. Most companies offer free shipping until you mention Alaska, then the shipping cost goes from $20 to $50.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. 06MonteSS

Hey there... sorry, I don't... do this as a 2nd/3rd side job, and my tune cost is already lower than anyone else, especially with the package deal for the trinity+custom tune, so I can't really afford to...

I'm sure my cost for the package deal can't beat what you can get that used one for though...

shipping to Alaska, hmmm... not sure... I'll do this - I'll just charge you the Canadian cost ($700) -- and that gets you the Trinity shipped to you in Alaska, plus a custom tune... and I'll just eat a little more of the shipping cost, that's all... cool?

oh, and I do not have/sell the pod mounts...
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

whats the going rate for the various programs monte? trinity, intune etc for us canuks?

EDIT: I saw your page, $500 ish for the intune and $700 for the trinity with tunes, I asked a couple questions in another thread about them.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. Macattac3572

Macattac3572 Member

I ended up buying a Trinity from the individual off craigslist for $400, I have already installed the 87 Tune and updated the tuner for the size tire that I have. I will need to tweek a little for the tires. I have already noticed a difference in my truck, just need to get an exhaust now. Everything in AK is high and the budget is tight. For now though I am tweeking the tune as I go and think I should have had this tuner a long time ago. The only down side is I would like to be able to go in on my laptop and make the tweeks on my tuner then plug into my truck and update that way. In the future I would like to get a custom tune from someone that is more savvy on the tuners to get more out of my truck. I like the power, but also like the fuel milage better, 87 octane is $3.74 here.
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=32828]06MonteSS[/MENTION]- if a used Trinity was purchased what do you charge to get a custom tune? Can that be done and be cost effective?
  10. 06MonteSS

yes, it can absolutely be done.. .and it's very cost effective at only $135... http://www.diablewtune.com

thanks man!

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

correct... those package deals include both the programmer and a custom tune, and are definitely a good deal... :)