Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Diablosport Predator Programmer?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by kwalls22, Nov 15, 2010.

1. kwalls22

kwalls22 Rockstar

I was wondering if anyone has gotten one of these predator programmers. If so did you notice a big difference in the power gained. Im looking into getting a programmer and want to know if this is worth paying for in your guys opinion. Thanks in advance

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I recently purchased one but for many reasons in addition to powergains. My main reason was to ensure my computer had the correct information such as tire size and gear ratio (when I change gears) and get custom tuned for all the other mods I have. So far, I am very happy with it just using one of the canned tunes in addition to adding my tire size for these reasons: speedometer is correct, Driver Information Center data is calculating correctly now, truck has a little more zip (I lost of ton zip when I changed to much larger tires, but still need to change gears to get my 0-60 speed back or power while going up hills). Unfortunately, I cannot tell impact on gas mileage, as I increased my tires size at the same time.

For me, the answer is "yes" it was worth it but for the reasons stated above (and probably more I just haven't figure out yet).

I also found a thread that speaks about powergains specifically.....you may find some helpful information here as well.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?12549-Anyone-use-Diablosport-Predator-programmer

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

It is definitely worth it in terms of programmers. Best bang for your buck in that area. The canned tunes give you a decent amount of extra HP and you can always go with a custom tune from Diablew aka 06MonteSS.

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I completely agree! I like mine a lot and could definitely notice a difference especially in the shift timing.

5. kwalls22

kwalls22 Rockstar

I heard that these are hard to tweek by yourself. People were saying its complicated to tune yourself. If i get the usb adapter so that i can download tunes will that help.

6. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

they're not that hard to use... you can do some data logging, make some tweaks/adjustments based on log data... etc etc...

but yes, if you do get the predator, be sure to also get the usb/serial cable and power adapter for it as well, so you'll be able to connect it to your PC in order to download recorded data logs, and import/export tune files for when you want to get a custom tune done...

or, you can get the Trinity... no need to buy any extra cables or anything for that.. plus it has more features, better logging, and will have updates for it in the near future for things like the ability to tune more than one vehicle at a time - which the predator won't get... ;)

7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The USB adapter will let you download custom tunes, but you will have to have them made first, which brings you back to something like a diablew tune. With my predator, I don't find it that hard to tweak yourself as long as you know what each parameter does. So, with a little research on the parameters you don't understand, you can easily and safely play around with it.

I am very happy with my predator, even though I paid $450+ for the predator and computer cable with our Canadian prices.

EDIT: while I was posting, 06MonteSS posted pretty much everything you need to know - after all, he is the DiabloSport expert here. It is also worth noting that if you want to update your predator when an update comes out for it, the cable is pretty useful. I still find the $50 price tag for the cable strangely high though.

8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I've haven't had any problems and so far, nothing has been too challenging to do (however, I am still using a canned tune). I do have the USB but have only used it to register and update my Predator... not to download tunes (yet). If you are planning to use a canned tune and then do a little tweaking to it, each screen/section has a menu of options and settings that are easy follow and you should be fine. If you want to get a more creative than I, there are several members here that can walk you though if you start running into problems or you can get a custom tune (including from 06MonteSS whom Metaluzc mentions). Lastly, DiabloSport has a pretty good forum in which you can find additional help, ideas, and answers. I have had to jump on there a few times because I did not understand what some of the options/parameters meant.....If you do get one though, definitely get the USB adapter/cord.

Some people may view the Diablo as complicated, but you have a lot of options and capabilities to choose from with it, and it does add to the complexity...but I think this complexity is what will give you more of the performance results that you were looking for.

9. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

yeah, I hear ya there man... BUT.. you don't have to buy their interface kit.. there's nothing special about it...

can go to your local RadioShack and get a usb/serial cable and power adapter and be good to go...

just make sure the power adapter is a 12v 1amp power supply with the center of the tip positive... and make sure the tip fits in the predator, hehe...

;-)

10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Love my Preditor, have had it installed in my '05 Silverado since truck was new. Fine tune your LTFT's (injector slope) and you will see a bigger differance after installing the standard 87 or 93 tune.